1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about trans folk...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Damien, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I might not be trans myself, but I'm increasingly feeling like we are 'all in this together', and therefore would like to know a bit more about all my fellow lgbt brothers and sisters...

I have figured out this much on my own: that 'ftm' must mean 'born with a female body, but wanting to transition to male'...right? And 'mtf' would be the reverse of this?

But, what does 'trans*' mean? Why the asterisk?

edit: I just realized I posted this in the wrong place, but I guess I will just have to leave it now...

thanks for your attention
    Damien :slight_smile:

#1 Damien, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. RainDreamer

You are correct: FtM means "Female to Male", and is a biological female transition to male, and they can be called a "transman". MtF means "Male to Female", and is a biological male transition to female, and they can be called a "transwoman".

"Trans*" is an informal umbrella term - usually used in internet speech - to cover both transman and transwoman, and I believe (but not sure myself) can be used in place of the more formal "transpeople", or the somewhat less formal "transfolk". I am not sure, because I don't know if it also cover those who are transgendered, or who are transvestite and such. Hope someone else can help me on this.

I hope this helps you! =D

3. Acm

Acm Guest

The asterisk is usually used to indicate that it's being used as an inclusive umbrella term to include many kinds of people besides just ftm or mtf people.

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um while we are on this topic um how does a transvestite fit into all of this? if it even does

5. RainDreamer

A transvestite falls under the umbrella term of transgender (somewhat incorrectly), in that they transcend the social expectation of their biological sex. But a transvestite still consider their gender identity confirm with their biological body, while a transperson does not.

6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks RainDreamer, and Acm, for your replies. :slight_smile:

If it's not any trouble, I was also wondering, with those who are FtM, they might be either attracted to: guys, girls, both, or neither; same for those who are MtF, correct? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I'm still very new to the lgbt world in general. It is relevant to me because as what I believe to be a bisexual man, I sense that if I felt a connection with someone who happened to be transgendered, of either gender, that I can conceive of being with them. For me the connection with another person matters, but the gender, not so much; because, despite the last few months only feeling interested in guys, I can't claim to be gay, considering how I felt almost totally straight for all those years earlier...so I sense I might be drawn to a transgendered person I met, as I said I don't even know where I fit in on the sexual scale, I'm still in a process of discovery at present...

7. RainDreamer

Correct. It is often wrongly believed that sexual/romantic attraction are directly linked together with gender identity, but this is not true. Transpeople find their gender identity differ from their biological sex. However, their sexual and romantic attraction are different than their identity. For example, I am a transgirl, but I would consider myself pansexual. Another transguy might be straight and like girls only. Or a transgirl might be a homoseuxal and can only feel sexual attraction with girls, but are biromantic and can have a romantic relationship with both guys and girls.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You are correct. FTM = Man in female body, MTF = Woman in male body
    Trans* Usually is an umbrella term, including non-binary people as well.
    Trans people can be any sexuality. My friend, who is a trans girl is straight, but you also see many lesbian MtF members here. They can also be bisexual or asexual.

#8 Fallingdown7, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
  9. DhammaGamer

It's good that you are open and comfortable with the thought of having a relationship with a trans woman. But keep in mind, most pre-op trans women are NOT going to "top" you, and may even take offense to the suggestion. Just as a bit of advice.

10. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, I had a feeling that this was the case, but it is good to hear it confirmed. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2014 at 01:52 PM ----------

Thank you again. I guess that in the course of a conversation, such things could be made clear. This is all very interesting, and I like the richness and diversity of the lgbt world, I must say, in comparison with what I perceive as the 'one size fits all' straight culture.

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2014 at 02:00 PM ----------

Thanks for that advice, I will keep that in mind! But as I said, I'm pretty sensitive to the feelings of others most times, so this kind of thing I would glean from just getting to know someone, I think. I guess I can only find out how I really feel, when I actually get out more, and meet people again. I've been so socially isolated lately.

About a pre-op trans woman, well I can't say for sure, but my intuition is that, if the connection and feeling of liking her was there, that I would be happy to consummate that in the way that fulfilled her wishes. Like I said, I don't really know anymore 'what' my sexuality is, I'm just going to have to explore it, before I actually know for sure. (In a respectful and safe fashion, of course. :slight_smile:)

#10 Damien, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  11. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

The asterisk is a symbol saying that there is more to it than just trans. trans men and women, Genderqueer people, androgynes, etc… are all under the Trans* umbrella.