1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this gender dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlwaysUnsure, Jul 21, 2014.

1. AlwaysUnsure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

So I'm a male and I've been dealing with a fair bit of depression the last few years. I identify as gay, but haven't really been with any guys, and still deny it to an extent.

During my last period of depression, I managed to start researching transgender. It was like an obsession, I would constantly look it up every night for about 2 weeks. Some of the traits applied to me, making me even more depressed. I always knew I wasn't a manly man, but I didn't think I could possibly be a woman.

I've kind of settled down now, but I'm still thinking about it. I can imagine my future being easier as a female, but the thing is I like my body to an extent. I always used to go to the gym to 'bulk up', work out etc but kind of slacked off lately. However, I relate to women much better than I relate to men and feel a lot more comfortable and at ease around them.

So confused and not sure where to go?

2. birdking

well a good indicator of dysphoria is body/physical dysphoria. are you comfortable with certain gendered aspects of your body? i.e. secondary sex characteristics

Also, would you be happier if people saw you as a woman and/or called you "she?"

3. AlwaysUnsure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty much comfortable with my body, I would change some things but not to female body parts, if that makes sense.

To be honest, I don't think I'd be happier to be called a woman or "she"

4. itsAli

Then you're most likely not transgender, that's one of the main indicators
    Just remember gender identity =/= gender expression, guys can dress femme and still be male just as a woman can dress butch and still be women

5. RainDreamer

Do you like to dress in female clothes?

6. itsAli

You can be happy to dress in female clothes and still be male, if you're not uncomfortable with your sex characteristics, don't want to change them and don't think you'd be comfortable being I.D'd as female, then you're probably not

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The question was if it was gender dysphoria, not body dysphoria.

Although you may be cisgender, make sure to take note of non-binary genders as well. These people feel genderless (agender), both male and female (bigender), or alternating (gender fluid), and so on.

You mentioned that some traits of being transgender applied to you. Can you tell us which ones?

And, as a side note, I'm leaning towards a more feminine to androgynous gender expression, but as male as fuck. So it's fine if you're that way too.

8. AlwaysUnsure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess the traits which applied to me include:

- I get along heaps better with females than males, I tend to feel awkward around guys. Although this could be because I never really grew up with guys, and thus don't really know how to hang out with them.

- I find females funnier than males, tend to connect with them better. I find myself imitating them sometimes, without realising.

- I don't conform to stereotypical gender roles

---------- Post added 22nd Jul 2014 at 12:41 AM ----------

I haven't, and can't say it really interests me at the moment. I've thought about it, but that was when I was really depressed so not sure if it was an effect of the depression or not.

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have to say, I don't really think that's all too accurate.

I'm a trans man, yet I hang around a lot of girls. I even prefer their company, actually.

I think it's how you identify yourself, really.

Are you happy with being male? Are you happy with people calling you a man?

Many women who are questioning their gender are told they are just sick of society's gender norm, but questioning men can be told the same.

Perhaps you're tired of people telling you that you can't cry or that you have to behave a certain way. This does not make you trans.

However, imagine this perfect, perfect world, where no on judges you for your behavior or clothing choice. Will you feel comfortable as a male? Will you like being called he/him pronouns?

10. itsAli

This sounds more like social dysphoria than Gender dysphoria

11. RainDreamer

Hmm, then maybe we can rule out you being a transvestite.
    From what I have seen, seems like depression is giving you a hard case of low self-esteem, and it might skew how you perceive your identity and your sense of self. It could makes you wish to be anything else but you, a kind of dissociation. And it might feel like dysphoria.

You should meet with a therapist. But I think it is best to look deep in yourself and try to see who is inside.

12. Acm

Acm Guest

To me it sounds like you're a gender non-conforming man that prefers the company of women to men- but I could be wrong, only you can say for sure. Like nychthemeron pointed out, you could be nonbinary. I tend to prefer the company of women to men as well, so that doesn't necessarily indicate anything about gender.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

You sound less like a woman and more like genderqueer to me. You might want to research it. Although that being said, some women do want muscular bodies. My mom used to work out so much she stopped having her period.

14. AlwaysUnsure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I'm sick of society's gender norm, I'm not a macho man and it doesn't help that I have pretty much no interest in girls (identify as gay). My music choice isn't stereotypically male for the most part, and I just don't really know what to talk about when I'm with guys.

As for pronouns, I do like being called a male, in the perfect world I'd be happy to be a male and still do everything that I do... Maybe I'm just feeling the pressure of society?

---------- Post added 22nd Jul 2014 at 11:33 AM ----------

I've been told that I have low self esteem, lack confidence and a general negative attitude towards things a lot of the time. I understand what you're saying about the disassociation, and I've considered that and felt happy with it but then I think "What if I'm in denial?" and everything just comes crashing down and I have to start all over again.

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Then, no, I don't think you are feeling gender dysphoria. I agree with itsAli - this sounds more like social dysphoria.

A whole lot of us feel the pressure of society, so you aren't alone. So what if you don't have hairy armpits and don't like hard rock? So what if you aren't attracted to girls that way and don't wear baggy clothes?

And, as both humor and a way to get my point across:

When someone tells you to sit straight, tell them to shut the fuck up and that you can sit as gay as you damn please.

(source: someone on Tumblr, not me)

So I'm basically saying, those people who tell you to act a certain way should sit the fuck down and think about their life choices, because damn, it's like you MUST control every fucking aspect of YOUR damn life.

(please excuse my vulgar language though)

16. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't sound trans to me. You sound like a guy who doesn't fit into stereotypes.

Gender norms suck, so try not to worry about them too much. Be who you want to be, not who society expects you to be. You don't have to be macho and hang out with guys and like certain things in order to be a guy.

17. AlwaysUnsure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get the whole gender stereotype thing, and it's true I don't conform to most of them, makes it pretty hard I guess. I've spent so long trying to be something else I guess and now it's hard to see who I really am.

I don't want to be seen as different by others, I just want to fit in and that's what's getting me down at the moment.

At least I know what to say to the next person that tells me to sit up straight :lol:

18. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whoops.

*they, not you. That was supposed to be sarcasm. :icon_redf

As for wanting to fit in and not seem different, I used to feel the same way. I still do, sort of, which is ironic as hell.

Truth is, everyone's different. You've probably heard that a million times, but I actually mean it. There is no one in the world who can actually be considered 'normal'.

That 'normal' guy across the street? He collects teddy bears.
    That 'normal' lady you saw at the grocery store? She knits little sweaters for her snakes.
    That 'normal' kid on the playground? She likes to eat licorice with mustard.

So, I guess I'm trying to say that, by being different, you're actually... well, not. Trust me on this one. This is coming from someone who pretended to be parrot and proceeded to eat cheese with their feet, because obviously, that's what parrots do.

Don't feel down. If they're stupid enough to judge you by your clothing, your hair style, or how you speak, they're probably not going to be friends anyway.

And, when's the last time you saw someone acting 'weird' and how long did you actually think about them?

My answer: I always see 'weird' people. Then I continued on with my life about five seconds later.

Being weird is not bad, because, in my book, being weird means being... well, normal.

Just be who you are. I understand that's easier said than done, but it will get easier. I know from personal experience. Still working on it.

Good luck. Don't let people restrain your awesomeness.

19. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. If you like being referred to as male, then I think the issue is societal pressure.

Just remember, you don't have to be any certain way to be male, and not being "MANLY" doesn't make you a woman by default. Men don't need to drink beer and yell at the tv when football's on to be men, and even though many of them seem to do this as a "social activity", it's also not a requirement to being a social man. Do what you like, when you want, with whoever you want, however you want. It's my opinion that everything is inherently gender-neutral anyway, and we just ascribe gender to things and activities needlessly to try and create the appearance of social order by attempting to dissuade people from participating in the "wrong" activities or liking the "wrong" things. But that's my opinion, not written law, take it or leave it.

Also, there's nothing wrong with enjoying the company of women - women are awesome! Society's the one that's got the problem, always insisting that it's not normal for men and women to be platonic with each other. That mindset is way more messed up than you personally relating to women better and finding them funnier. From where I'm standing, you're not the weird one. You're not the one needlessly splitting the population in half and then sitting back and going "alright, now I'll only associate with the half of the population that's physically similar to me, and completely rule out the opportunity for friends that might be into all the same stuff I am but don't have the same genitals". (Obviously trans and intersex people exist, but society likes to forget that, so yeah, divided by the assumption of genitals)

Just keep being you man. :slight_smile:

20. AlwaysUnsure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for all the replies, was good to see after coming on here today feeling shitty as. :slight_smile:

I'm still not sure if I am trans, I go through everything I've learnt in my head and think that certain aspects e.g. gender dysphoria doesn't apply to me, then I think "what if I'm in denial?" and it all starts again.

I don't want to change my body to make myself appear female, but my thought process is: I have some feminine traits and I don't really fit the male stereotype, maybe it's something I just have to do. No offence intended here, in fact I'd be appreciative if any of you told me how messed up I really am.

It doesn't help when someone tells me I should've been born a woman, or that my finesse is similar to a girls. I quickly correct them and ask them why?