1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dealing with dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Raatox

What do you do when feeling dysphoric?
    Do you have any tips when it hits?
    Are there things you do to make it disappear?

2. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    escucho música:thumbsup:
    also eating my favourite foods and spending time with my dog
    if I'm at school or somewhere else, i just breath and get through it as fast as I can.
    stuff that distracts you is allways good, and especially watching movies and stuff.
    I get a lot of social dysphoria, and I try to get into the mindset "fuck you all, I'm still a boy" and that kind of helps. It's like being an undercover agent.:icon_wink

stay strong

3. birdking

I don't think there's a way to get rid of it entirely

BUT you can try distracting yourself? spend time with people you like, eat some food, do something fun to take your mind off of stuff.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I try to distract myself by listening to music or doing something fun. I can never get rid of it though. Sometimes I try binding tighter, or putting a sock down my pants, which sort of helps.

5. Sabot Kitty

My girlfriend's power went out for like six days because of Typhoon Glenda, and I felt like I suddenly got super ugly. But then she came back, and it's like the dysphoria very nearly evaporated. So having someone who loves you for who you are can help mitigate those feelings.

Failing that, wearing clothes that accord to your gender, or doing something to distract yourself online.

6. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try distracting yourself with something you like, it helps to cope with any kind of pain.

7. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just try to do something to take my mind off it or make it less apparent. Sometimes I'll focus on things about myself I actually like, or try to imagine what I'd look like on T, with a beard and whatnot. That helps sometimes.

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Supportive friends help, and my girlfriend is probably my biggest support when it comes to dealing with dysphoria. Distractions work wonders, though I tend to overdo it and completely immerse myself in fiction, especially videogames, but it's better than dealing with awful feelings.

9. RainDreamer

I believe doing something that feel gender affirming would be great. I usually take a shower with girly scented body wash, and practice my female voice by humming and singing quietly. Sometimes I just hug my teddy bear and snuggle.

I am sorry that I can't offer a transguy advice on this. DX

10. suninthesky

I'm a transguy and I hug my teddy bear.. :wink:

11. stormborn

i like to imagine what i and my life will be like when i am post-transition, though i know this definitely doesn't help everyone. otherwise, i just distract myself with a video game or movie or something to that extent, just to take my mind off it.

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Going online and seeing people refer to me with male pronouns always makes me feel warm inside.

Also, video games, where you can choose a gender, especially if others refer to you with your preferred pronouns.

Very awesome.

Otherwise, I just lie on my bed and feel sorry for myself. Sorry, dude. :x

13. Sabot Kitty

Ah, I almost forgot about this! Yeah, any Pokemon game after Crystal seems to help me in this way, both because it is a distraction and you're being acknowledged as your gender with zero scrutiny.

14. hiddenxrainbows

I like going online as my real gender as well. I'm pre-everything, so the real world can makr me feel pretty crappy sometimes. But online, I can be the real me and people actually call me the right things. So it makes me feel better. I also like playing video games, especially as guys. I like reading and writing as well. Doing these things, I can drift off into a different world for a while and forget that my body isn't right. So I feel a little better tgen. And fiction worlds are better anyway! They have superheroes and dragons and magic and all the fun stuff XD I also talk to my boyfriend and a few friends or people online. I bawled all over my boyfriend last night and vented to him, I felt better afterwards XD lol I also like wearing masculine clothes or my binder or packer when dysphoria is bothering me. I've worn my binder and packer at home while alone before, just because it made me feel a little more manly, which makes me feel better

15. Kat 5

This guy knows where it's at.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When dysphoria hits, I try to distance myself from it via the arts. Music, writing and movies are where I go to to escape and it hasn't failed me most of the time. Reassurance by allies works too. I love what Nychthemeron said about going online and video games that let you choose your gender and PGPs. It's pretty comforting.

What's important is to do something to distract you or get you out of your head since I find that's when inner demons and dypshoria can fester into something mean and nasty, and just gnaw at you like mad. For me, it can get intense if I don't tame it properly or quick enough.