1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGB Trans people?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Acm, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

I've noticed that in comparison to cis people I know, the trans people I encounter are more likely to be non-straight. Is there a correlation between transness and being LGB+, or are trans people just more open to other sexualities because they're already trans?

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've noticed this as well, and it kind of confuses me. I'm interested to know the reason why.

3. Sabot Kitty

As a matter of fact, trans people are more likely to be LGB than cis people; I can't find the study that supports this, though. ^_^;

4. DhammaGamer

I've been Bi since around the time I hit puberty and started becoming interested in sex (that's also about the same time that I became much more aware of my relationship to my body, and the beginning of the issues I faced leading up to my transition). I think the term "Straight" is ridiculous and made up by fascists to control human sexual behavior. I'm not sure why Trans folks are usually more fluid with their sexuality. We just come from a different perspective I suppose. When I first came out as being attracted to men, I felt compelled to discourage all my former interest in other women and completely invalidate my former relationships I had had. I decided that that basically took me from one closet right into another. There's no need for me to be on one side or another because there are no sides. I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't. Nowadays I don't even think about my sexuality at all. Prince Oberyn said it best "Then everyone is missing half the world's pleasure. The Gods made that, and it delights me. The Gods made this... and it delights me. When it comes to war I fight for Dorne, when it comes to love... I don't choose sides.""

Also, I know that referring to myself as bisexual may denote a belief in a duality, but for me it basically means pansexual, I just like the term bisexual more.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are surveys about the preferences of trans people, you might look them up.
    If I remember it right, it was about one third of the participants heterosexual, one third homosexual and the rest of the participants bi / queer / etc.

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Most of the trans folks I know identify as queer, and I do notice quite a few asexual people too. I wonder if it's because prior to transitioning, some of us were a part of/were exposed to the queer/LGB community, and after coming to terms with being trans, perhaps some of us just aren't as strict about our preferences (or don't place as much emphasis on someone's sex/gender), since we realise that people are much more than their gender, or their parts? So a majority of us are likely to be multisexual, although, there is a majority of lesbian trans women likewise gay trans men, too. Who knows.