1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I help my parents understand?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Raatox

Long story short: I'm not the stereotypical transman (I love cute animals, guys, pink, yada yada... :rolle:slight_smile: and has always been very aware of what other expect from me (act as a girl, wear dresses, play with girls... ). So I have tried being a girl for 25 year. Now I just can't do it anymore. I have accepted that I am a guy and I'm very happy about that I finally can say I know how I am.
    I have told my parents, first time was about a month ago. But they don't understand, they see this girl I have tried to be, but can't see what's in my head and I really understand that.
    They just think I'm mentally ill. That it is something I made up.:icon_sad:
    But I want them to understand!
    SO, how can I make them understand? (I do realize it will take time though). Do you have any suggestios? could be anything; things to say or do, articles to read, videos to watch...

Would really appreciate some help! :slight_smile:

2. stormborn

do you see a therapist? could you take them to a session?

you could try looking at some of the resources that PFLAG has available, such as this, and see if they have a pamphlet or something that you feel would give them an understanding of you.