1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Male Underwear for the First Time

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FTMBryan, Jul 22, 2014.

1. FTMBryan

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm pretty young and I still live with my parents. I'm able to go to the store by myself though, there's a clothing store within walking distance from me. Do any fellow trans* people have tips on buying the correct gendered underwear for the first time? I'm pretty nervous, as I do not pass.. so people will probably be thinking "Why is there a girl buying boy's underwear?"

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't get weird looks buying boxers for myself (same goes for a sharp dress shirt and tie set). Then again, I was wearing a snapback and a hoodie to conceal me. I wouldn't worry too much about getting looks since people aren't too nosy. I'm sure if you're worried the person at the register may think you're getting them for your brother or someone...nothing to worry about.

As far as correct goes, my first pair were IZOD boxers that were on a rack and my mom was with me that day (getting new socks and boxers) and we took them off the rack and checked the sizes and how they fell on me. I think I got a small from them and I went by my jeans size(?) to pick out a 3 pack; which had me at a medium.

I see it as guess work and trial and error. My boxers are all mediums, but my boxer briefs are large.

3. Sabot Kitty

If possible, I'd avoid the entire thing and shop online. :c

4. hiddenxrainbows

Whenever I bought mine, I bought them online from Walmart. I could've went to the actual store and saved money on shipping, but I was too embarrassed and scared of my roommates seeing me by them, because they always went with me since they had a car and I didn't. I have yet to buy underwear in person >_> but I have bought men's pants in person. It is scary at first.

If you can, it might help if you buy them online first. It's soo much easier doing that at first, if you're scared. If that's not possible, then just try to act confident. I doubt the cashier will say anything, they just care about making money andgoing home. If you act confident though, people are less likely to question you and give you looks. If you're nervous, you might get some looks because people might notice your nervousness. Plus, if you act like you belong in that section of the store, like it's normal for you to be buying these, then people will be less likely to call you out on it because they won't want you to chew them out. Also, as already stated, theg may just think you're buying them for someone else, and thus not even question it. And if an employee says anything, they can get into trouble. They're not allowed to give customers hard times and the customer is always right anyway. So if an employee does harass you, you can tell a manager and get them in trouble. But like I said already, they probably don't even care what you're buying anyway. They prolly just wanns get the day over with so they can go home. And I'm sure they've seen people buy plenty of "weird" things, so they prolly aren't even phased anymore.

5. birdking

Even some cis women wear men's underwear. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

6. FTMBryan

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everyone for all your help. I just got back from the store with some boxers for myself and I'm the happiest I've been in awhile. Dysphoria has been really bad lately and getting boxers for the first time cheered me up a little.

7. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats Bryan! :slight_smile:(!)

8. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    just go in and dont be nervous, if you walk in and know what you want then get them.
    no one says anything to me when i'am buying girls underwear or lingerie. be brave and take a breath and just do it!!!!
    best advice

9. itsAli

Cis women buy guys underwear all the time, I'd say go for boxer briefs, they're tight and comfy, but not too tight, they just fit snugly against you, i couldn't recommend them enough