1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Binder Masterpost

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sherlock, Jul 23, 2014.

1. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Feel free to post here anything and everything related to chest binders!

I'll start. Just ordered my second binder online today. It's a full-length double tank top which can be worn alone. The binding part is made of velcro and fabric, my first velcro binder ever.
    My current one is a zipper half-length binder made of simple polyester-y material. Dries really fast and in my opinion, binds fairly well. According to the website the new one would be even better. Looking forward! (!)

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. tone

I totally tried that method too before I got a binder, it didn't really work very well for me either, sports bras were a lot better but I have a small chest anyways (like A-B).

My binder (Amazon.com: Binder Women's Les Lesbian Tomboy Chest Binder Slim Fit Vest: Clothing) is built into a tank top which is pretty nice but I think I should've gotten a smaller size because it has three sets of hooks and I can do it on the tightest setting and I'm still not as flat as I want to be :dry:
    But, if anyone's looking for a less expensive binder, it was under $20 and it's pretty good, just be careful on sizing I guess? In the reviews it said to go two sizes up, so I got a medium, but like I said, I might want to get a smaller size.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

T-Kingdom binder (not sure on the model. It's the full length one with velcro.): Was very disappointed with this binder. Despite ordering the correct size according to the size chart, I found this binder too big. It fitted around the chest but the stiff stretchy fabric that basically does all the work seems to migrate upwards and make the neckline noticeable under clothing. I also found the fabric from the ribs down too large in comparison with the top half and the velcro fastening also visible under clothing. The velcro does give very tight compression though so I don't know, maybe it would be slightly better for someone with a larger bust but I have since read that binders from T-kingdom can cause a lot of damage so...yeah. I don't know if I'd recommend. Wish I had returned it because it cost over £50! I was too depressed at the time to even get out of bed so now I'm stuck with a useless expensive binder :frowning2:

Ancient Fish King: Impressive for the price. I think it was around £8 and with free shipping too. I had to go for a medium in this binder so I would say the sizes are quite small because I'm about a 32 A. The binder looks like a tank top so I suppose for those that can pass pre-testosterone and surgery, it's rather discreet and won't give you away. It does get me quite flat but I don't like the way that the hook and eye fastenings are down the front over the moob area because it's quite visible through the tank top. However, if you're looking for a cheap binder that functions pretty well for the price, I'd definitely recommend. It's also much more comfortable than the binder from T-Kingdom.

Sports bra in lycra: I started out with a sports bra in a size too small for me just to see if I was serious about binding before investing in the (useless) binder from t-kingdom. I would not recommend this at all. It doesn't achieve very good flatness and after a few hours the elasticated band around the bottom was making it hard to breathe and I felt nauseous (though to be fair I probably shouldn't have worn it to bed but it was shark week so...) I have read that sports bras can make quite good binders, especially if layered but personally, I find them more dysphoric than an ordinary bra. I think it's because they remind me of the kids sports bras I wore as I was moving into puberty and I don't like being reminded of that time for various reasons. So if you find sports bras trigger dysphoria I wouldn't recommend.

I'm still looking for my ideal binder. I have been thinking of trying the underworks 997 model but I've read that because it ends above your stomach the fabric can stick out and is visible through clothing. I don't want to waste any more money on a useless binder so if anyone of a similar size (I'm a UK women's 8 and 32 A) could review this for me, I'd be very grateful.

5. stormborn

funny, because that method works pretty well for me. i think the camisole i use is a size too small, so maybe that helps? also lying down and fixing the front helps. (lying down helps me arrange myself to be flatter with my actual binder, too.

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2014 at 10:56 PM ----------

right now i have an underworks tritop. it works pretty well, i'm a 34-36 a, and have a medium (though i think i could have gone a size down). my boobs kind of get squished together into a uniboob if i'm moving around and stuff and they shift. i get some lower back pain after wearing it (though i suffer from some back pain normally anyways) and if i go too long my ribs will be slightly sore. the strechy/meshy back keeps it pretty cool, too, and it doesnt really restrict my breathing too much. it looks kind of "medical", but that doesn't really bother me.

also, i might as well post this here: this is the best method i've found for putting on a pullover binder

6. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    *Bump*
    Update! Getting new binder tomorrow! It's arrived and I'll just have to pick it up! This one can be worn alone :slight_smile:

7. stormborn

ooh, i've been looking for one that can be worn alone, or at least looks a little more normal. be sure to let us know how it is!

8. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's fine. Looks very normal... a simple black ribbed tank? It's got a sewn-in simple white velcro binder that does not show through or around the tank top. But I'm not an expert on velcro and can't really get it to bind as well as my zipper half-length even though the binding effect is, according to the site, slightly better than the zipper model.
    It looks breathable enough, and I have yet to see how fast it would dry.
    Might post pictures.

9. wanderinggirl

Do any of them work particularly well at not creating a uniboob? I got the Magicotton Binding and Sports Bra, which is pretty comfortable and more flattening than a sports bra, but is uniboob central. Then again I'm a 32DD so I think I'm destined for uniboobity.

10. I have an underworks full length full front compression binder and that works out pretty good for me even though I have a large chest (ugh)

But here's the thing... My ribs and stomach would really appreciate a break now and again.

Does anyone know of a half-lenth binder that would still work for large chested peeps?

I looked, but all I'm finding is the 3/4 length underworks one (which is okay but still kind of far down on me since I'm not that tall) and ones from east asia that don't look like they'd work for a big chest.

11. Hexagon

You guys know the urge to readjust your chest while binding every once in a while? I still catch myself trying to do it now :/

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to get a binder but I don't want my parents to see it in the mail, I'm not out to them yet. :/ Also, I'm a runner so I'm afraid I'd only wear it when I'm not sweaty and gross (which is rarely), or if I wanted to wear it when I run I'd ruin it with sweat.

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is me. :tears:

Although, I am out. They just... don't support me, so no binding for me.

What the hell, I don't even know my chest size. I need to ask...

EDIT:

So I asked and now I know, but my mom thought I was talking about top surgery and she just looked so horrified and now I feel like shit because she's never going to support me on this

well damn mom

i'm sorry to say

when i get enough money i'm going to cut my fucking boobs off and you can't do anything about it

#13 Nychthemeron, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  14. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry they don't support you. (*hug*)

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's okay. I'm sure they love me. I'm just being a little bit too selfish right now. unu

I've been thinking, though - binders? They look really tight, although I think that's the point. Has anyone had trouble getting one on or off?

16. yeah it took me a while to figure out a way to get mine on and off myself. mostly I just watched a lot of videos by trans guys and genderqueer people on youtube. there are a ton of ways to do it.

17. stormborn

the pullover kind is hellish until you figure out a good method for yourself. when i first got mine, i got it on with only a little bit of difficulty, but getting it off... i thought i'd be trapped in there forever.

now, i think i can get it on or off in less than a minute. two minutes, at most.

18. Two Shakes

As far as the cheap $10 binder on amazon mentioned on the previous page (the slim fit vest thing), I would just be careful, because some people have been hurt by binding with them. Although I can't find the pattern between the people who it works great for and the people who say it's painful and works terribly (since it doesn't seem to matter what chest size), perhaps you could shed some light on it?

Honestly, once you get used to the binder it's not hard to get it on and off (I step into it, pull it up, then pull it inside out over my chest.. hard to explain) I just hate it because I literally have to take off all my clothes to do it, haha. I just can't pull a binder on over my pants.

As far as ordering binders discreetly, if you order from Underworks it is VERY discreet, it's not a package by UPS or anything. It's just a package that goes in your mailbox, has no markings on it, nothing to indicate what it is or where it's from. I think it says 'Underworks' on a sticker somewhere, but it's not obvious and even if you see it, if you don't know what it means, it's just the name of the company.

I've heard of binding by using the compression panels in those camisoles that they make with 'stomach control'. Apparently you wear them and they're tight enough around your stomach to make it look flat, and the idea is to use this same compression on your stomach on your chest. The ones I've seen say to use two, and apparently they stay in place if you wear a sports bra underneath. Haven't tried it myself, but since it's pretty cheap and discreet and seems to work, feel free to try it.

19. wanderinggirl

I just got the Underworks Tri-Top in the mail today. I had 10 minutes before I had to go meet my climbing buddies to go to the rock gym and thought I'd try it on. I almost had to go to the gym IN the binder it was so hard to get off! (I got it off in time, don't worry I know you're not supposed to do that.) I'm hoping in time it'll require fewer gymnastic maneuvers to get into this thing.

But once I got it on, and put a t-shirt and a buttondown on over it, I looked so androgynous it was awesome. As I mentioned before I'm a 32DD so this is quite an accomplishment. Worth the initial pain! One downside is the neck is cut really high, so it's only really good with crew neck shirts or top button swag. Maybe once it stretches a bit and I learn to adjust it properly this problem will resolve; otherwise, yep wear this with high cut shirts.

After an hour or so of sitting here, I have no breathing difficulties. I ordered a M, maybe other people wanting to size down will find themselves short of breath; but I think results are pretty good with a medium.

20. itsAli