1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of support/ adviceTrying to come to terms with being genderqueer.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ctrl alt delete, Jul 26, 2014.

1. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, there's a lot of things going on and I'm kinda confused where to start or whats relevant right now so I'm just going to put it all out there. I know its long so thanks for taking the time to read all of it.

Over the last 6 months I've started to realise that I'm genderqueer in some way. I guess it started with a realisation that I've got a really strong female part of me that I've been repressing for a long time. I've also been wondering if I'm bi for a few years now but haven't really acted on it, though I've told a few people that I am. I'm really attracted to androgyny, in a sexual way and in presenting myself and I really want to present myself more androgynously (something I've started in small ways).

There are a lot of reasons that I was probably repressing but I don't know if its really worth going into. I've got really good friends that I'm sure will support me and I've talked to one at least about this.

I'm living with my parents in a kinda isolated area right now so things aren't perfect as I haven't discussed any of this with them and I think its going to be a while before I'm ready to. I hope to move out soon into Dublin city centre though even there it won't be perfect as its a small city and I see members of my extended family around all the time. Its taken me a while to work up the nerve to really address my gender and sexuality and I don't want to put it off any longer though.

I'm afraid about how people are going to react to me. The biggest group I fear I guess is other young men, people I would normally try to be like. I want to move to some big metropolis where I know there's a big lgbt scene and people care less about how you act/ present but its not practical for probably a while. I'm really scared in a few ways tbh.

2. earthlvr510

Its great that you've started to accept yourself :slight_smile: Genderqueer is a bit more difficult for people to understand as most people only think of gender as a binary. That being said, most cities no matter how small have at least some sort of lgbtq scene, you just have to know where to look. Granted im from the US but even the town I grew up in had some safer lgbtq spaces and its in rural New Hampshire. Finding other trans folks to talk with helps a LOT with accepting your identity and once your confident in it im sure you'll find a way to safely come out. Moving out definitely helps :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Do you know what pronouns you prefer?

3. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I think your right there is somewhat of a scene and talking to someone would definitely help. It's definitely not the worst city. And I think your right, its just all so new and I'm still figuring out what I'm comfortable with.
    I haven't really thought about pronouns, I know that I recently started to write stories about lgbt character's and there I tend to use s/he. But I guess I just amen't fully used to terminology etc. yet.
    Thanks for the nice reply :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Ah, so you've began your Gender journey~
    Genderqueer is like the catch-all, umbrella term for all the non-binary identities that people can identify with. I myself identify as Genderfluid and I generally use gender neutral pronouns (they, them) or masculine pronouns since I align with masculinity more.

I would urge you to being making a support system for yourself and finding a lgtbqia group is always the best way to start. Connect, and talk with people along with your own research and you'll soon get the answers you're looking for.

5. itsAli

Hello :slight_smile:
    I started Identifying as Genderqueer because I felt masculine some days and feminine on other days and presented as such, but now I know I'm a binary transgender boy after having constant masculine days and constant dysphoria over my female body.

The best thing I can suggest is just experiment! Seriously, go online in forums presenting female, get people to use female pronouns, it's okay to experiment, change your gender and pronouns until you find an identity that fits you, if you ever need to talk you can message me whenever, good luck :slight_smile:

6. JustJJx

Great advice, i agree with itsAli here!
    I remember sending an email as Jane Langley, my female name for myself, it felt great!
    Start off small and progress until you feel comfortable!
    We're always here for you x

7. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the great advice guys, its actually just a huge weight of my chest just to say it. I said it to two close friends last night as well and they were both really supportive. I think its going to be baby steps for a while but I'm excited about experimenting and finding more out about myself.

@mindvsheart (cool user name btw!) do you know any ways to go about getting in contact with such a group? any sites etc.

@itsali I might just do that, I'm sure I'm going to have plenty of questions when I start to experiment more.

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'd also second attempting to look for a support group, whether it's online or offline, though, with a group in-person, it's nice having a safe space to start experimenting with your appearance/presentation and be yourself without having to worry about judgment.

I also wanted to address that I relate with you entirely when it comes to feeling a bit uneasy about my gender, especially around other (young) guys. I think a lot of non-binary folks are bound to feel out of place every once in a while, considering we live in quite a binary world, and I sometimes feel pressured to stay within the binary for the sake of my simplicity, likewise my own safety. It is better when you live in a much more varied, diverse area, though, certainly. Especially when you run into other androgynous folks, it's easier to not feel like the sore thumb or as out of place.

Very glad to hear though that you've supportive friends, and baby steps are the way to go :slight_smile: Just take things at a comfortable pace, and do what feels right to you.

9. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Thank you! (*hug*) Well, the way I went about was checking in my local newspaper and plus, I heard about and was given information about places that were safe for kids (I later learned, also a safe place for non-binary peeps) in school (when I was still in high school). After that I checked online, usually there might be facebook groups (if you're on facebook) but I haven't really looked up on an actual site. I'm sorry if this doesn't help. :icon_sad:

Are there any local youth organisations nearby? There could be a gender support group within it and they usually have an email, phone number to reach them or you could pop by there main HQ.

#9 MindvsHeart, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  10. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks oddish and mindvsheart. U guys are great (&&&) I'll start looking around.

11. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Good luck with everything! :smilewave