1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I May Honestly Be a Trans- What Do I Do From Here?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I always knew about the struggles that transgender people faced, but never would I have imagined going face to face with these agonizing troubles. I never was an outright girly person as a kid- sensitive, yes, but never did I feel outright girly. In my teen years to early 20s, I had very minor fascination with girly things- but it was only 1-10% of the time. Flash forward today to my early to mid twenties, and that number has risen substantially to 50-80% of the time.

I don't know what the cause is for this massive rise. Though I estimate that gender roles are more definitive in the adult world than as a college student. It is rare to be able to find a job without wearing a suit and tie- clothing that makes me want to off myself. I am more comfortable and able to tolerate gender neutral clothing and looking androgynous- though I really wish I could wear skirts and dresses and cross over to the other side. I wish I can express my emotions more readily.

So yeah....that's where I'm at. I haven't told a living soul about these feelings, besides on the forums. For obvious reasons- I'm terrified about it. I don't want to be labeled as someone who is gender confused- I just want to be me. I have no idea how to come out, or whether to continue donning the mask.

I have a few questions:

1. How in the heck should I come out? Even with the people I trust, this subject is a major awkward embarrassment to me. I really don't desire to come out about this, but it's painful. There are certain people I trust over others. And I don't want any wind getting to my parents.

2. If I do transition- how long does it take? I know that the process is insane, I'd really rather just get it over with if it's going to happen. I'd still rather enjoy the rest of my twenties as female when I have the chance, I don't really desire to be an old woman.

3. How do I cope with the time I have right now as male? Let's face it, it'll probably be a while before I can transition if it's going to happen, and I have a lot of coping to do.

2. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    You should probably talk to a gender therapist. They will help you sort out your feelings and transition.

3. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would absolutely love to speak to a therapist about this, but I can't see a gender therapist because my parents would know. I could mention it to my regular therapist, but it's a shy point to mention it even to him. (Perhaps I would be less shy about it if my therapist were female).

4. WillowRose

Strongly agree with ChromeNerd -- find a way to see a therapist with experience with trans* people. Doesn't have to be someone who primarily describes themselves as a "gender therapist" -- you just want someone with actual experience working with trans clients. As far as your parents' knowing, seems to me that all they need to know is that you want to see a 'different' therapist.

As far as how long transition takes, how to go about coming out, and so forth - every person's journey is different, and how long it takes depends on what your goals for transition are. One of the things a good trans-savvy therapist can help with is refining your goals and planning your transition process.

One article online that I go back to again and again is Ten Things I Wish I’d Known When I Started My Transition. Her #8 (Save Money) is a must. The other 9 are pretty good advice, too (at least for me, so far).

5. earthlvr510

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? If your over 18 then your parents don't have access to any of your health information unless you let them. You can seen any therapist you want and they have no way of knowing.

6. Just Jess

Right on the money!

Speaking of, if money is the issue, my therapy at school was free, and my therapist I paid for was $140 and we resolved all my issues in a single session. If we had just stuck to gender issues I could have paid half that for half the time, but I needed some counseling with some ongoing relationship issues I had with my ex and some stuff related to a rough childhood. People only knew I was going because I told them.

7. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, I'm 23- living at home, unemployed, and under my parents insurance plan. I wouldn't even know the first thing about finding a gender therapist, hiding it from my parents, or anything of the sort. I would love to find a close friend to confide in, but even that is very difficult.

As you all know, gender dysphoria is extremely debilitating and frustrating.

Thanks for that article, by the way- very helpful! :slight_smile:

8. Just Jess

Well for what it's worth we can at least help with the bolded part,

Therapists