1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attempted to come out to my mom... Sort of

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NingyoBroken, Jul 28, 2014.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

So I have come out to everyone except for my family as genderqueer. And I've talked to a few close friends about being trans.

But my family is the hardest part. I originally wanted to keep it a secret until I get my top surgery, which I am 90% set on getting in the future. By then I'm an adult, don't have to deal with them, and if they stop talking to me, oh well!
    I am a strong person, I don't care what anyone thinks about me. So it's not that I fear being rejected or hated. It's just, that they would make a huge deal about it, and it's just not worth all the fuss.

Well, particularly my mom. I'd totally come out to my dad if I could; I enjoy having "dude talk" with him, talking about things my mom doesn't give three f**ks about. I'm sure he would be supportive of me coming out as genderqueer, and perhaps trans in the future.
    But if I told him, he'd definitely tell my mom. He's not one to keep secrets.

My mom is a feminist. That says a lot already, doesn't it? Ever since I could remember, she talked to me about how "women are superior than men", and always went on about how woman's bodies were soooo amazing and female is the better sex.. (Did I mention I fucking hate feminism?) You'd think she was trying to turn me into a lesbian (but apparently not, more on that later.)

So, I was particularly stupid today. And told her I was binding. Thought she would just calmly ask why, and it would lead to me telling her I'm genderqueer, and she'd be supportive and all ends there. She was always supportive of my "strange fashion", she even gladly accepted that I wanted to wear guy's clothes. I should have known better.

But she made a big fuss (I'm surprise she didn't notice the lack of boobs already).
    She said "that's what lesbians do!! What are you, a fucking lesbian!? You're going to ruin your amazing body!"
    When I told her I didn't care what lesbians did (didn't even know lesbians bound), I was just doing what I want, and that I don't do it every day. After all the nagging, I even told her a little white lie, that I was doing it to look better in my more masculine outfits.
    But of course she said "don't ever do that again. I can't believe you did that"
    So because I was annoyed enough, I walked away and went to my room (and I'm gonna bind anyway, screw that). As I left, I could hear her saying "You're a young woman, not a man! Act like a woman!" And other such things.
    Act like a woman. Act like a woman. Those words, echoing in my mind like a broken record. Driving me insane. Those words I've been having to deal with my whole life.
    I wish I'd never have to hear those words again.

I fucking hate feminism.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2014 at 12:42 PM ----------

Sorry, don't even have a reason to have posted this. Just ranting I guess.

2. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Your mom is exactly the same as mine.

TW here for family issues and attack

My mother is a feminist, and though I have never came out to her, she keeps giving me the amazing body crap, beats me up, verbally attacks me ("I gave birth to a beautiful girl, not a monster." "I will disown you if you are a lesbian" "I will cut up all your clothes and make you wear pink lace dresses every day" "What bra are you wearing? Is that a sports bra? You have to wear the pushups I bought you. Give me all your sports bras, I'm throwing them away" And asking me every single detail about my, uh, cycle when we finish fighting over something. She's specific down to clots and tampon changes and often does it in public )

I feel ya, man. I hate the fuck out of this yet for some reason I still love my parents very much. IDK why.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Wow yours is even worse.

I couldn't stand for that shit, I'd hit back. Excuse me, but I don't give if you birthed me, no respect means no respect back.

Mine has gotten a little bit better.. She used to give me the bra thing too. She bought me bras that had thick padding and made my already too big bust look even bigger. When I said I wanted sports bras, she said "no, that's unflattering and not ladylike".
    I always thought "what if I don't want to be ladylike?"

So now I'm not wearing bras at all, and she hasn't mentioned it in a while.

One thing she does do, is "compliment" me on my chest and thighs (and today especially she did it, almost as if she was truely picking on me, and despite of the fact that my thighs are pretty much equal to that of a feminine male now, because of working out everyday.)

I always tell her to stop. And for a while she stopped doing it, up until today.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry your mom didn't react well. Sounds like you're in a pretty shitty situation with a mom who's really not accepting. Seeing as she apparently didn't even notice that you were binding, you should keep doing it. She might be paying more attention though, so be prepared to get in trouble. And if you do, you can always come back here to rant about it. Lots of people can relate to having unfair and unaccepting parents.

Your mom is not a feminist, though. Your mom is an asshole. There's a difference. Feminism is about equality, not about trying to force people to be feminine.

Good luck dealing with your mom, and I'm sorry you're stuck in such a shitty situation. Hopefully with time she'll get used to it and be a bit less controlling about you binding and stuff like that.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Feminism isn't equality, I've seen the way feminists talk, they insult and ridicule males like crazy. They say ALL men are bad when they (or we?) obviously aren't.
    But I don't want to start an argument.

Yeah I'm afraid of that. I'm afraid now she'll notice, and try to take my binder away. I can't imagine going out without it. It's not perfect, but with loose clothes it works very well.
    I don't want to be seen with boobs... I don't even want to see myself like that.

And in that case, ranting won't do very much.

Thank you, I hope she will.. But somehow I doubt it.

6. Evil Kitten

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're worried about her noticing you wearing the binder, try sneaking it out of the house with you when you go out (hide it under your shirt, put it in a bag, anything that would work, really; be creative), and changing into it when you get there. Wear it around the house when she's not around or when she's in another room, and take it off for family dinners and other times you know you can't avoid her.
    Or just wear it all the time and hope for the best.

And I assure you most feminists are not like that. Those "feminists" just happen to be the loudest.

#7 darkcomesoon, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  8. Tinykc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^I totally agree with that btw. Anyways, sorry to hear about your mom. I know how you feel, although I never got it as bad. I remember fighting my mother to wear "guy clothes" and sport bras. I say go for it! Keep binding and expressing yourself (I mean unless it puts you in danger, then it might be time to settle down)your allowed to be you and she shouldn't take that away. I'm not saying at all that I agree with what she's doing and I think it's awful but maybe it be good to take a step back and realize that in her eyes she's doing what she thinks is right and would be best for her child. (Even though it isnt, just total bullshit. It's just very destructive!)
    Hey, and don't forget you can always get help or feel free to rant on EC. We're always here for you! :grin::icon_bigg

9. JustJJx

I'm really sorry for your bad situation and i hope things get better! But yeah that's not feminism what your mum is doing, don't get it twisted! Hmm, i would suggest talking to your dad, it might do you some good to have one parent on your side!

#9 JustJJx, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  10. Mr D Gamer

I feel very bad for you, you shouldn't have to have such a burden upon you but if you ever come out to your family or just your mother, you shouldn't care if they have a negative view of who you are. You were born that way and they need to realise that your sexuality isn't a choice. It is you going on a journey to discover what you want to be and to get to know yourself better as a person while pursuing the things that make you happy. Don't force yourself to come out as in my case that just made it harder to come out. Many people are just scared of anything new that they wasn't born and raised with knowledge of so they find these things difficult to understand. I have faith in people like you and I believe you have the courage to tell the world about it, and be proud. (*hug*)

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Trust me I'm not afraid. I'm just annoyed.

12. uniqueness

uniqueness Guest

I think you should come out to her. You should defend your own views and show her that you will not stand for the disrespect she had shown you.

Anyways, you should be yourself. If it means wearing 'men's' clothes and getting a buzzcut, then so be it.

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Oh no I like my hair long, I would never get a buzz cut, it's unflattering on either gender and I quite like to look androgynous. Like those beautiful gothic boys... My picture is how I look and wish to stay that way even after surgery in the future.

But thank you very much. She seems to have forgotten for now that I told her about binding. She hasn't mentioned it since and is talking to me like normal.

The only thing I had to worry about was her taking my binder away, as I am quite dysphoric about my chest.

I have decided not to come out to her just yet. As I have said, coming out would be a hassle and I'd rather avoid the huge headache.

I never said I was to stop wearing the clothes I wear. As they are quite unisex for the most part, she obviously doesn't have a problem, and supports my fashion. Even if she didn't, let's just say I wouldn't give. I wear what I want.

14. AlexTheGrey

Yeah, my mother isn't far off from yours, and it is a reason why I really don't want to come out to my parents while I'm still sorting the core of it out and experimenting. I moved out ages ago, so I can get away with it a bit easier. I'm not looking forward to butting heads with her on this, even though I know it will need to happen at some point.

It is good that it sounds like there is room to just let things be at the moment.