1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Femme girls - do you ever feel like you need 2 butch it up?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by blueberrykisses, Jul 30, 2014.

1. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not sure if this is the right section but here it goes.

I'm naturally feminine looking, I have feminine mannerisms and interests, always been that way but I've never really felt feminine on the inside. I have a very dominant personality and lately I've felt like I should dress more tomboyish or have shorter hair and try to act 'tougher' to appeal to feminine girls. But I feel so ridiculous dressing like a tomboy, I feel like I'm a tomboy at heart but I'm just naturally more feminine and I would cry if I had to cut off my hair.

Do you femme girls ever feel like you need to butch it up? I feel like femme girls will never look at me cause I'm too soft or whatever. But if I changed my looks I wouldn't be myself. I can't just pretend to be someone else. I mean I just couldn't pull off baggy pants or a baseball cap. :confused:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Be who you are.

If you dress/act a role, you might attract somebody, but they'll be attracted to what you can be, and not so much who you actually are.

Do what is comfortable to you. If you want to accessorize or experiment with style, have at it. Just don't keep doing something, if it isn't who you are, or if it makes you feel uncomfortable. Somebody will cherish you, for being you.

Fun Fact: People who are themselves, are the most attractive, and the most respected.

3. peppermintgum

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've got to agree with Kaiser, being yourself is super attractive. I was reading some erotica and wishing my girlfriend was like Margot (from French Kissing ahh~) and I was trying to get her to act a bit more masculine for me but then I thought if she was going act all shy and awkward about it that would be pretty messed up of me to force that on her and vice versa to make her act more feminine.

Don't change who you are just for some girls that may decide to look or not look at you.

4. BelleFromHell

I'm the opposite, actually. I feel inferior to other femmes because I have a bob hair cut, still have my mom pick out my clothes, and I'm into history/science/gaming/anime/manga/other nerdy things.

I don't think most femmes would look at me and consider me feminine, and that crushes my self-estseem.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Be who you are, you sound like a cutie~

6. juliegt6

I'm femme in presentation and style, and am attracted to other femmes. I don't feel you have to butch things up to find someone! There's plenty of femmes who like femmes. The big issue is femme invisibility, but we do find each other so there's hope. I used femme a lot in this paragraph lol

However, I'm into manga, anime, guns, cars, motorcycles, computers etc; in addition to makeup and fashion. I think I was the only diy car girl in the cosmetics department when I worked at Macy's! I can rebuild a transmission and do kick ass eye makeup, that's when I'm not at work writing software as a software engineer writing code for manufacturing and maintenance software. I've found a girl who is femme but she works at a home improvement store because she has extensive knowledge in home repair and remodeling.

You be you and someone will dig it! Try joining an lgbt group and get exposed to queer culture and you might find ways to broadcast your orientation in the right places and hook a good one...

7. BelleFromHell

If only you were ten years younger... :lol:

8. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know plenty of femme girls who like other femme girls. Just dress how you want :slight_smile:

9. Tetra

I kind of feel the opposite! I feel inferior to femme girls sometimes, solely because I think they're only looking for other femme girls. It's frustrating.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use to but that's not me , I'm a feminine person , I'm just not masculine and I'm not gonna change just because it will be harder to get a date . Plus I don't want a women dating me because she thinks I'm butch , then when we get serious I start acting femme and she's like what the hell I thought you were butch . It's just not me , I'm not gonna change for anyone . I know if i go out right now and dress butch , i'll get dates but i'll never respect myself for living a lie, I want the girl to like me for me and be attracted to me , why would I want her to be attracted to a fake me, to me this is like living in the closet faking being butch to get other lesbians , I think it's an insult to lesbians that we have to do this to get women , I get if your butch and this is you ; But why must we fake ?,
    Are we feeding into the same stereotypes we hate ?:confused:

i know I'm going to be alone for a long time and I ain't changing for nobody :dry:.
    I know femmes and lipstick lesbians aren't popular, I get it women prefer butch whatever I don't care anymore I'll keep wearing my make up and cute outfits if that means i'm gonna be alone so be it I don't give a fuck anymore .:rolle:

#10 stocking, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  11. wanderinggirl

Heh I am tomboy/masculine-ish and I still feel the need to butch it up! I'm the WORST at sports, I'm better at knitting/sewing than swinging a hammer/fixing my bike, and I like to paint my nails. Sometimes I feel self-conscious about these things because I feel like if I'm in boxerbriefs I have to be super butch, but the truth is I'm not. It's as foreign to me as trying to be femme is.

You do you!!! Femmes get their share of love, especially if said femmes love themselves. And if you love yourself then there you go, who needs to depend on other peoples' love? You got you! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

12. julianne

I'm very feminine too, and it used to bother me that people assumed I was straight. I considered cutting my hair and dressing in more butch clothes, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that that wasn't necessary. Being bisexual is a big part of who I am, but it's not everything. I can still be queer in dresses and heels, and everyone who matters knows that.

Not all femmes are exclusively interested in butch girls. I'd love to date a more masculine woman, but I'm equally in love with my very feminine girlfriend. I'm sure there's lots of femme girls out there who would be very interested in you the way you are right now :slight_smile:

13. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Yes I do sometimes feel like I need to butch it up.. But I love being a girly girl.. It's who I am. I am naturally feminine and into nailpolish, makeup and hair straightening. It's sad for me when I am only attracted to other feminine women.. I am invisible and so are they. But I would rather be feminine and not be assumed to be gay then to dress up manly and not feel comfortable with myself. I am dominant/protective at heart but i'm not going to change my looks just to fit a stereotype to attract other women.

Even though I wish people wouldn't assume I was straight.. I like dressing girly, drinking wine and crossing my legs.. and wouldn't change it for the world.

#13 ChloeKiss, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. uniqueness

uniqueness Guest

Drop the labels and just be yourself. If you want you can experiment with your clothing and makeup style. Also, do you want to look feminine because of societal pressures or is it because you just enjoy the look?

Anyways, dominance and femininity are not mutually exclusive. You can be a bit of a femme fatale, so to speak.

15. BelleFromHell

But what if "myself" sucks?..

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Oh... no you didn't.

You know DAAAAAAMN WELL, that isn't true. But, we'll address that, when you respond to the messages.