1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

genderbending

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by idream, Jul 30, 2014.

1. idream

idream Guest

Is it just me who hates the term "genderbending" being applied to me? I don't think its accurate at all...genderbending is when a boy dresses like a girl or vice versa. But when I dress as a boy, well, I sort of feel like I AM a boy...can anyone relate?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody's ever applied that term to me, but I certainly wouldn't like it. I'm not genderbending, and I'm NOT crossdressing. I'm dressing like a guy because I'm a guy.

3. MissMook

I can totally relate. Whenever I crossdress, even in the slightest, I usually want to see myself as a girl in the mirror; not as a guy dressed like a girl.

I wouldn't take it too much to heart; I think the people who use the term "genderbend" just aren't aware of the terms genderfluid or genderqueer. Educate them on it, and the world slowly but surely becomes more aware. Now if they still refer to you as "genderbent" against your wishes, that needs to change.

4. idream

idream Guest

Thanks...god, I love this website:3

5. birdking

I don't like it either, really. If people are talking about fictional characters, or if someone I know and trust calls me a "gender bender" as a joke it doesn't bother me really at all. But if people are serious about it/don't know me well enough to make those jokes, it really gets on my nerves.

glad other people are bothered by it too!

6. wanderinggirl

I prefer "gender nonconforming" because it's also a positive thing, like "oh she's not weird she's just nonconforming, who can argue with that?!"

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like "genderbending" as a word in general because I kinda like the idea that people are taking gender and bending it and changing it until it fits them, but I kinda get what you mean. I definitely know a lot of people who use the phrase "gender nonconforming", and I like it too, but when used in the same way as "genderbending", it just doesn't describe me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. idream

idream Guest

Interesting way to put it:slight_smile:

9. JustJJx

Yeah, its exactly as everyone's put it, i wear girls clothes because i am a girl, and i wear guys clothes because i am a guy too!

10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I prefer genderqueer to describe myself. Genderbending makes me think of anime like Ranma 1/2 and Mariaholic and what not, but that's not really what I do.

11. earthlvr510

I always associated it with genderfuck. When I hear genderbending I don't think of it as an identity or label but as an action. Has anyone else ever heard it used like this?

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Apparently Wikipedia agrees with you, so that's probably the real definition.

13. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, it's definitely an action, and that is how it's being used in this thread. You could refer to yourself as a genderbender as part of a label, but you would need a label to identify your gender as well, seeing as "genderbender" is not a gender.