1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice deepening (FtM)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Minnie

Does anyone know if talking more deeply will extend the range of your vocal chords with time?

2. myvirtual0fanta

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure myself, yet I'm lead to beleive constantly speaking like that and only like that may lead to it becoming second nature. Idk really

3. Yosia

I have heard screaming (like in metal music) can lower it, but it can also really hurt it.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know, but I've tried to talk in a low voice throughout middle and high school and I can say it's one of the deeper ones in the class.

5. soupycampbell

Out Status:
    Some people
    Talk from your chest, not your throat. Also there's a lot of YouTube videos that can teach you how to sound deeper. Good luck.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I do an exercise every day I learned from YouTube

Basically you hum a really low note while slowly tipping your head back. Once it's all the way, try to hit the lowest note you can hum, then slowly move your head back down.

Makes your voice a lot deeper, and for me, it's getting more and more natural every day.

7. justjade

One thing that helps (well, it helps me anyway) is to speak from your chest and throat instead of through your nose. Most women have higher voices, and a lot of that can come from talking through your nose. Also, it's good to learn to project your voice more effectively so you don't end up raising your voice, which can make your pitch higher.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure about that really. I used to sing along to male vocal songs a lot before I started on T. It helped me get used to using my lower register more. So, that's something that may help too.

9. Lucaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't tried the things that others suggested, but I do know that practicing singing high and low notes will extend your (musical) vocal range with time. At least, that's what my choir instructor said. It could be the same for speaking.

10. Two Shakes

Biggest thing is talking through your chest- even though I have a fairly high voice, for some reason I talk through my chest with it, and I get read as male way more often than when I try to consciously deepen my voice too much (I don't know why, but when I try and go too deep I end up talking with my nose, which ruins it). Would definitely recommend singing along to songs with deeper vocal ranges or just talking to yourself with a slightly lowered voice. The key is to slowly acclimate yourself- a higher but relaxed voice is more convincing that a deep but forced voice.

Also, to achieve that sexy rumble, it is recommended to gargle with gravel every morning for 30 seconds. It destroys your throat and makes you sound like you've been smoking for 60 years after 60 days!