1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to be Androgynous?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tinykc, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Tinykc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys,
    Just wanted your guys advice and opinions and what-nots! Ok, so I've been a tomboy all my life and for a while now i've identified (gender expression) as androgynous. I want to start dressing even more masculine than I am already but as a teen girl, my mother won't let me buy more masculine clothing. I fought her for two years to wear baggy"guys" t-shirts (she still doesn't really approve) and she said a few things that made me nervous about coming out as lesbian/andro. How can I convince her that there is nothing wrong with andro? How can I get ahold of more masculine clothing with her not approving? Anyways, I appreciate any advice, no hate thanks guys! Love you all, Cheers! :icon_bigg

2. justjade

You could get clothing that is unisex. Anyone with an androgynous gender expression should make Converse sneakers their new best friend, in my opinion, because, besides not looking particularly masculine or feminine, they also actually do come in unisex sizes. Even though I'm a trans guy, my gender expression is pretty androgynous. If you're looking to make yourself appear androgynous, I recommend wearing very classic items that both men and women wear, like button-front shirts, cardigans, t-shirts, and jeans. Solids are best, but plaid is a pretty safe print to go with. I recommend getting yourself a good leather bomber jacket, too. You'll get massive style mileage out of it, and despite lots of girls wearing them, they're still very masculine.

You could just refuse to wear anything that's markedly feminine, like florals, bright colors, dresses, skirts, and heels to ease her into it. As far as wearing guys' clothes, you really don't have to as long as you can stick with female clothes that don't look particularly feminine. If she sees you're happy that way, she can't keep trying to get you to change forever. Any parents worth their salt will want their kids to be happy. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

3. Tinykc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much! Awesome reply and great advice! Cheers! :slight_smile: