1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should you give parents until they start acknowleding gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Minnie

It's been about a year since I first thought I was trans and my parents are still describing me as female. My dad is worse because he doesn't really talk to me about it, although despite my mum being the opposite she associates gender exploration way too much with me. How long should I give them to start addressing me as male, or at least in my dad's case acknowledge that I've questiones my gender identity? With my mum at least she's still "waiting until I'm sure" because I've questioned it a few times. Also, in the meantime, how can I just let female pronouns etc go in one ear and out the other and not feel uncomfortablewhen that's what they refer to me as?

2. idream

idream Guest

It really depends. Just have patience. This is definitely an adjustment for all parties involved. Perhaps counceling or other means xould move the process along.

3. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you should wait any time at all! Let them know how you want to be addressed and be clear that it's a matter of respect to you.

Of course you want to have patience and understanding for their adjustment period - don't harass them for honest slip ups. But you don't have to wait to ask for them to begin trying. Often times parents just don't know (or are in denial) about how important and serious this is to their children. Make sure they know that you aren't just joking around or "trying it out," but that this is actually who you are.