1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgyny and eating disorders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by awesomexclusion, Aug 1, 2014.

1. awesomexclusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everybody,
    A little about me, I have struggled with eating problems since before I came out of the closet. I have gone through a lot of therapy to improve my self esteem as well as to get out of my disordered eating behaviors. While I am doing much better, I still have a very strong desire to be thin. I am not trans but I don't much care for my female body. I want to be thin enough to lose my curves and breasts. I don't know how healthy this is, even if I lose the weight in a healthy, non disordered way.
    I've just been looking for advice on this issue. I think everyone is entitled to look and dress the way they want, but I don't know how I feel about losing weight to look less feminine.
    Also I'm not overweight, just naturally curvy. I am going to look into chest binding, but that doesn't help my hips.
    Any advice would be amazing. I don't want to give up all of the progress I've made just so my body can reflect the way I want to be seen.

2. If you want your body to have straighter lines, you should look into ftm tips on dressing, even if you aren't trans. By doing this your body will look straighter and less curvy. It probably won't be necessary to lose any weight at all to do so either.

Binding will help with your chest, otherwise, compression sports bras and shape wear can be helpful in this way too, provided it's not so tight as to restrict your movement and breathing--be careful about that and only bind when necessary.

Then, you're going to want to try on a lot of pants. I have wide hips, so I tend to wear only a couple brands of cargo pants to make them look smaller. That way, the line from my hips to my thighs is straighter.

As far as the curve of my waist to my hips, I bind my chest and wear a loose t-shirt over the top of my binder (my binder is underworks but again, it's not always necessary to wear a medical grade binder, depending on your chest size) and then I wear a button up shirt over that, sized so that it's not baggy per se, but it is loose enough to hang so that the curves of my body are much less visible.

3. awesomexclusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks! I guess my biggest issue is I want to look a certain way for myself. Very slim with A cups, and then id still wear a sports bra or binder. I hate shopping for clothes, but I'm going to try to see how getting them tailored will help. I'm also lifting weights to become more muscular and look less soft/feminine.
    The more I type the more I feel like the way I want to look isn't normal or healthy, but recovery has been very difficult for me.
    I will look at tips for FtM though, I think it would be helpful.

4. wanderinggirl

The danger of the androgynous fashion "trend" is that it idealizes one kind of androgyny: the skinny white kind. There are lots of people with lots of body shapes that are all striving for this androgyny, which I think is dangerous.

Maybe instead of worrying about losing weight, try doing exercise you enjoy; getting toned will balance out curves, or at the very least it'll make you feel strong and appreciate your body. thedreamwatch's dressing tips above are really helpful.

Curves will always be there unless you slim down a ton, for better or for worse. If you have serious body dysphoria, you might need different advice; but mine is to dress for the body you have, and learn to accept it.

---------- Post added 1st Aug 2014 at 03:11 PM ----------

Note I'm not saying you want to look androgynous for a trend; I'm just saying that this "trend" doesn't help people with body image issues and gender expression issues one bit. Sorry if it came off that way.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

"Learn to accept it"

Oh how I hate those words. Such things can usually be changed or hidden, even if only slightly.

I heard from an FTM website that working out your legs can help slim down the hips.

6. yeah I'm thinking that some of the way you think your body should look is probably disordered as you said, but it sounds like you're working on that. good for you, that's really tough and it's awesome that you're doing it. you said you're doing or have done therapy and that certainly will help, and it might just take some time and some more work to not expect so much out of your body and start being okay with the one you've got.

that being said, I can understand trying to distance oneself from the soft and the feminine. that is something that makes me extremely uncomfortable in my skin. definitely look into getting/tailoring some nice fitting clothing for yourself that will emphasize what you want and take the view away from what you'd rather not flaunt. keep working your body in a healthy way that feels good. you can sort it out and find a place where you feel okay in your head and also your body is getting what it needs as well. (*hug*)

7. Tetra

I had an eating disorder in ninth grade. I was about a week away from death before I was hospitalized. I think people may have been surprised, me being a tomboy my whole life, and always eating enormous amounts of food up until the problem started. I never really understood WHY I did it then, but now I realize that it was because I thought so little of myself and wasn't confident the majority of the time. I'm thinking that I didn't feel like I fit in with other people, therefore I felt shitty about myself, which had a cascading effect until I finally took the pain out on myself by starving. Maybe it's like this for other people too?

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It was like that for me. For years, on and off, I had anorexia and some other types of unnamed ED. I strongly believe that I did this because I was struggling with my gender identity. I had very poor self-esteem. I tried to both run away from and to what I was gender wise, if that makes sense. I wanted to get thinner, because I was under the impression that my period would stop, my breasts would be like a boy's chest and I would end up looking less female. It didn't work and there were a few times when I was probably close to dying, yet I never went to a hospital or told my doctors about this.

9. awesomexclusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    All these replies have been so helpful, thank you everybody. I originally developed an ED because of the unhappy home I grew up in. Now that I'm on my own I still want to be thin to a point where i might be underweight, but this is because I want to lose my feminine curves.
    I looked at some of the Ftm dressing guides and I will try to get some of my shirts tailored. I think I still may look into getting some kind of binder, though I don't need anything that will make me look 100% flat.

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2014 at 06:10 AM ----------

All these replies have been so helpful, thank you everybody. I originally developed an ED because of the unhappy home I grew up in. Now that I'm on my own I still want to be thin to a point where i might be underweight, but this is because I want to lose my feminine curves.
    I looked at some of the Ftm dressing guides and I will try to get some of my shirts tailored. I think I still may look into getting some kind of binder, though I don't need anything that will make me look 100% flat.