1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I appear more masculine?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LostCause, Aug 2, 2014.

1. LostCause

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everyone I joined this site just two days ago but I've had some fantastic support. I am biologically female with gender 'confusion' and really need to find a way I can look more masculine. The problem is that even if I wear male clothing I have g sized breasts that I don't think binding can hide as I am quite thin. I often cross dress but It isn't really working for me as I end up looking like a butch lesbian which isn't what I want. Is there anything you can recommend that will help me look or feel more masculine? :help:

2. justjade

I know how you feel. My breasts aren't that big, but they're still really uncomfortable. I'm a small C, but....I dunno, they're super-hard or something, so it's hard to compress them. I often look like a butch lesbian, too, but recently, I've been doing better.

See, it's pretty hard to look masculine when you're born female because our features are different, and we tend to be shorter than biological males. I'm not sure if you want to look full male or just look more masculine. As far as looking more masculine, you can definitely bind to conceal your chest. Don't use ace bandages for this, though. They're designed to compress under movement, so they can really ruin your ribs. I tell everyone this because I worry about people getting hurt.

Anyway, now that I'm done with that bit, now onto the fun stuff. You can always wear layers to help conceal your chest. Also, wear your hoodies and jackets open to help conceal your hips. That's about the best advice I can give you as far as appearance.

It's good to adopt more masculine mannerisms, too. Watch the guys around you. And while you're at it, become friends with them. Hanging with the guys can help you feel more masculine. Hope this helps. Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. JustJJx

Walking with your shoulders is very masculine, i've been practicing walking with my hips ^_^

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Yeah, body language can really change how you're perceived, but I think to pass you'd probably need breast reduction surgery.

5. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A good binder and many layers will help disguise your chest. To get away from looking like a butch lesbian, try to dress a bit more professionally and conservatively. Typical casual male clothing has been adopted by lesbians pretty visually - plaid, flannel, and baggy mens jeans are old staples; now there's the common "daper" look of vests and skinny jeans. If you go in the other direction and wear men's office clothing, people will be less likely to read your outfit as lesbian. Think boxy (not baggy!) oxfords, standard (not skinny!) ties, and black or khaki slacks.

Of course, many people think dressing fashionably or more in line with their own sense of style is more important than "passing" so these conservative men's outfits may only be for certain situations when you really want to be read and treated as male.

6. LostCause

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the advice guys I went on a shopping trip today for a change of wardrobe and I'm already feeling a bit better about myself. I'm saving up for an underworks binder and I've been told that breasts are easier to hide if you quite large so I think ill try and gain some weight and see if that helps at all.

7. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would advise against that. I've got 40DDD and am not small by any means. I'm trying to lose weight before top surgery (down 30lbs so far). The better shape you are in beforehand, the better your results will be.

Binding doesn't do much for me, it's just the way it is. Layer if you live somewhere that you can do that comfortably. I don't have that option, it's far too hot. So I just deal with being seen as a very butch lesbian. Is it ideal? Of course not. But I've accepted that it's all I can do until I am healthy enough and have money saved for top surgery.

Gaining weight to hide your chest is really awful advice, I'm not sure why anyone would say such a thing. Do what you can but stay healthy. Don't give yourself more problems that will get in your way in the future.

8. birdking

Body language is key. Stand tall, walk with your shoulders, take up more space when sitting down (within reason)

I've found that even if it's not visible, men's underwear helps me feel better.

9. abandonedsocks

Okay when you gain weight one of the first areas that grow are your chest and butt so do not try to gain weight to hide them. At the same time, if you're at a healthy weight, don't go dieting because you want to hide them either!!! Health first!!!

Body language is very key. Shoulders slightly squared, walk with little to no sway in your hips, never cross your legs when sitting, I know it's hard when you're so focused--but relax! Guys are often very confident or at least relaxed about the way people see them--they do what they want.

Clothes, well, start with a binder, if you can. NEVER tape and NEVER ace bandages!!! NEVER. Get one from underworks or another reputable place. I have one from underworks and my D's look nonexistent (I have the tri-top). Layering is also helpful. If it's hot, that makes it more difficult but even a t-shirt and a plaid shirt with rolled up sleeves can help. That's another thing! Plaid shirts! (Not stripes, plaid. Strips accentuate curves.) Plaid helps to hide a chest, like really amazingly well. Or it did for me in high school, at least. Go for things that are more squared off. Squared is masculine, curved + circular is feminine. Square sunglasses, etc. Boxer briefs are beyond way better than regular boxers, they're comfier, they don't ride up and they can help you with confidence. If you're like me and you've got hips and like skinny jeans, it can be a bad combo when you're transitioning or attempting to come off as masculine. Drop them a little like the teenagers do. It helps hide your hips and it shows an inch or two of your boxers (if your shirt doesn't cover it) which of course reads as male. Male colors work as well.. not that I'm trying to facilitate gender stereotypes, but it helps passing. Baggy clothes, ties. I hook my keys on the side belt loop of my pants with a carabiner, which is something that's almost exclusively a male thing (though also a more 'teenager/young adult thing'. I don't know how old you are)

Perhaps try working out! I hate working out personally (cough: lazy boy!), but I know it's helped a lot of guys out. Especially if you're a swimmer, working up those shoulder muscles can help you look more masculine. Specifically the butterfly stroke will help you there.

The next is your voice + the way you talk. Voice exercises are around on youtube and things, but generally males are more monotone and use more action verbs. Less "I" sentences. Don't be saying "awww that's so cute!", and stuff like that. I mean, you can, because guys do say these things, but don't over do it.

You can also start showering with boy's shower gel, use male deoderant/cologne, etc. If anyone questions you, just be like, "I like the smell better, plus it's cheaper." (Because it probably is--gendered marketing is sneaky like that.) Or, if you aren't up for doing that, you could always try "unscented" things, that way it will be neutral fem/masc.

Basically: you can do whatever you want. Not all guys are very guyish anyway, and they are all different. Watch guys, pick up habits you like. It's a lot of trial and error with what works for you.

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've already got a shit tonne of great advice, so I'll just add on :slight_smile: JustJade knows exactly what he's talking about when he says layer up. Be an onion of masculinity. Also, vests are badass at hiding womanly shapes of the waist region. And they look classy as fuck. Alsoooooooo if you're not really into fancy and formal pants, but still want to man it up with your leg-gear, cargo pants are little angels sent from the passing gods. And they're hella comfy. And you can carry so many things with all the pockets. They're just great.

Other than clothing, silhouette and gait are rather important keys to passing. Something to help with mastering the gait is to stroll behind a guy in the street and immitate how he's walking.

Alright that's all I really have to add. Have fun!

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think that gaining weight would very well to hide them. I've always been thin and my breasts were pretty small, as a result. I've been trying to gain weight and my breast seem as if they are growing too. While they aren't ginormous, they are making it harder to wear a slimmer fit shirt. I can hide them better if I wear something loose.

Apparently, by eating less fat you can make breasts smaller. But, the body does need some fat to live, so be careful if you reduce your fat intake.

Make your mannerisms more masculine. A deeper voice. There should be some videos on youtube that teach you how to lower the sound of your voice.

12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my experience, the first place I gain weight is in my hips and thighs, which does fuck all for helping hide my chest and is WAY WAY WAY more frustrating to try to hide than my chest also. This seems to be common among female-born individuals - weight falls there first for some stupid reason (estrogen...). Just something to think about before you try to gain weight. I'm a small person, with a small chest, but my thighs seem so big to me that I'm getting desperate about losing weight because even binding, I look distinctly female. And I wear size 28 jeans. :frowning2:

13. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also in the way of makeup, countouring your face with some bronzer to accentuate your cheekbones and jawline are very helpful! Just google male face contouring and you should find pictures and stuff of what to do.