1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name change and coming out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SomeLeviathan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. SomeLeviathan

My birth name is largely used for males. I like it, I just think I'd rather switch to a gender-neutral name.

I'm an adult, so this is something I can do without parental consent, legally anyway.

I'm wondering how those of you who have changed your name, how did you tell your parents/siblings you'd like to be called something other than your birth name? Did you come out about your gender identity at the same time?

I'm still nervous about coming out to my parents about my gender identity. I would like to at some point, but I'm not sure if I want to right now.

2. Kelp Krunch

This doesn't apply to everyone, but I'd like to think that for most people, coming out about gender identity would precede a name change. A lot of people have stuff to sort out, "preparation" if you will, and having a name change would be one of the last steps to being full time.

I'm not too sure if a gender-neutral identity would be much different to a trans identity though. If you think it's a good idea to get a legal change right away then go for it. If you go ahead with it before you decide to tell your parents about your gender, it almost forces them to swallow that pill, that you're serious about it, and would like them to accordingly take you and your new name seriously.

3. SomeLeviathan

I do not plan on legally changing my name for at least a year after living with it. I wrote a letter to my parents and my current plan is to come out to them with my therapist sometime this month and then ask that they call me by my preferred name from then onward.