1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by artist92, Aug 5, 2014.

1. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have very little money, and no insurance. What is an estimate on transitioning with just hormones? I can't afford surgery but I need an estimate on HRT. And will hormones be enough? Will no hormones be so bad that I can't pass?

2. KayJay

I am not really sure how it would work in the states but I get my hormones all for free. I don't think hormones are totally needed to pass but I would imagine they would help for sure. They also just sort of made me feel more like me I suppose, it is hard to describe.

You can always begin transitioning without hormones!

3. Kelp Krunch

That's because Canadians are lucky with their free healthcare haha!

I've been told anywhere from $50-75/month uninsured for HRT, which doesn't include the visits to the doctor and stuff. Not sure how reliable that number is, probably depends on the person, but I don't think it's anything bank breaking.

But as KelsC said, hormones aren't required at all. I think one of the major components to HRT is testosterone blockers, which a lot of people rely on to stop their body from progressing in the wrong direction, but by no means is passing impossible without HRT.

4. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. How exactly can I transition without hormones? I want to start soon, but I really don't know how to begin.

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hope you guys don't mind me asking, but do you need citizenship in a country to get hormones, or could you just move there temporarily to get hormones?