1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discreet package pickup?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Groosenator, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've been thinking lately that I'd like to buy a packer. I don't really want it to ship to my house because I could just see someone in my family opening it without realizing it is mine, and god knows what they would think then or what kinds of questions would ensue. (I'm not out to anyone in my household.)

Does anyone know of another way I could have something discreetly delivered elsewhere for me to go and pick up? I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for privacy. But I don't want to rent a PO box for three months or possibly longer just so I can pick up one package.

Is there such a service that allows me to have something delivered somewhere that I can go and get it myself per delivery?

I saw this awesome thing when I was in San Francisco: https://www.swapbox.com/ but that's a bit of a drive for me. Something similar would be fantastic though.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might call your local UPS store (or, better yet, if you can find a Postal Annex or other independent mailbox rental place.) Many of them will, for a fee, allow you to do a one-time package pickup. The fee is usually 3 bucks or something.

Another option is general delivery, which is free. Your package is addressed:

Your Name
    General Delivery
    Your Town, CA, 95404-9999

(the -9999 denotes general delivery)

You put in the city,state, and the zip of the particular post office near you. (If in a large city, check, as you'll probably need to go to the main post office and send to its zip code.) is. The way that works is, the post office receives it and holds it until you show up at the window and ask for it.

The only catch is, you may have difficulty getting a company to send you something to a general delivery address, in which case the local private mailbox service will be cheaper and easier. Call several of them until you find one willing to help you out. I've used UPS stores for this in the past when I've been shipping something to a town where I was visiting for business or a convention and wasn't sure what hotel I'd be staying at.