1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Misgendering by my friends

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Aug 9, 2014.

1. itsAli

I went to London for a week and went to Shisha 3 nights I was in London :L got called a guy there and at a comedy club (before I opened my mouth) apparently I pass as an 18 year old guy when it's dark and I don't talk
    It's a start I suppose.
    However, whilst I was there two of my closest friends keep misgendering me, and I keep correcting them, but no matter how hard I try, they keep doing it, and it sucks, I know it’s because they knew me as a ‘girl’ but they’ve known me less than a year. I love them to bits, but it hurts every time they do it.
    Every time they use ‘she’ I feel like I’m being stabbed or slapped.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    maybe you could give them some research on transgenders, idk if i said that right

3. itsAli

The best way to say that is "Research on people who are transgender" because there's more to a person than being transgender, and just calling someone "a transgender" can be offensive because it's like you're saying that's all they are

Anyway, I have, one is very educated, but he just doesn't seem to care when me or my boyfriend try and correct him.

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh that sucks, well do they mean it? and sorry didnt mean to offend you if i did

5. itsAli

No, it's hard to offend me, but when I see people using terms wrong, I'll correct them, so they know in the future in case they do offend someone :slight_smile:
    Well, whenever my boyfriend tells him to use male pronouns for me, the friend will apologise to him and say he'll make an effort, but he blanks me whenever I ask him to.

6. stormborn

have you explained how much incorrect pronouns affects you?

this is kind of extreme, but once my dad misgendered me, and i slapped myself in the face. he said something along the lines of "what the fuck was that for", and i told him that that's what it feels like when he misgenders me. he's been pretty good since. not that slapping yourself is a good idea, but i don't know, maybe you can do something such as that but less extreme.

#6 stormborn, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014