1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice deepening tricks?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Aug 11, 2014.

1. itsAli

Hello, I'm a 17 year old transgender male who's started transitioning, I sometimes pass until I open my mouth. Does anyone have any tips to deepen their voice?

2. Greeley

Well i'm not sure if it was puberty that hit me or if what i did worked.
    But basically when i was at school and noticed my voice sounded "gay" i put on a deep voice then it basically became just natural and routine. I'm not sure if it was from that or not but now my voice is relatively deep.

3. prussianblue100

I think you should be fine when you start taking testosterone. Now, I'm a cisgender female and dislike the thought of becoming a man, but I've heard that it deepens trans male's voices and stuff. But until you actually start taking it, you can always just practice making the pitch lower. I can intimidate a boy fairly well due to some practice.

4. itsAli

Yeah, I meant advice for before I take T, I've done enough research to know what T does

5. Temoshi

Try stretching your throat when going deeper, flex your throat open, as if swallowing air. I used to do that in highschool to do fake male voices. Wasn't as perfected, but if I kept it up it could have been convincing. I ended up with a deep voice for a few years after by accident, but I also had a hormone imbalance at the time from poor health..

6. wanderinggirl

Try humming a really low note while tilting your chin up and back down. Slowly you'll be able to produce lower and lower notes. Don't do this too much, only a couple minutes a day, and be patient. Oh and make sure you're well hydrated while youre doing this exercise.

7. stormborn

practice, really. try to speak from your chest as opposed to your head/throat. sing along to some lower songs everyday. it takes a while :/

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with stormborn. Try talking from your chest instead of your head. It's hard to describe how to do that, but when you do it you'll know. There are videos on Youtube explaining the difference between your head and chest voice if you're interested.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Talking from your chest helps a lot. Also, I would sing along with male vocal lines in songs. Over time, I found that this helped me lower my voice since I tried to hit the lower pitches.

10. Hexagon

There's relatively little you can do about pitch until you go on hormones, sorry, other than keep to the bottom of your current range. However, keep in mind that there are differences in the way men and women typically speak - women vary more in pitch, men are more monotone.

11. itsAli

So i tried the advice, and when I talk in a lower tone, I sound extremly sterotypically english, as opposed to my normal southern english accent *sigh*

12. Temoshi

It can take time, just keep up daily practice. Most trans men who want deeper voices get vocal scrapings. It's been done, not sure of the risks. Do some research on it if you wish.