1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans on fb

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Aug 11, 2014.

1. itsAli

So, I go back to college in September, and the majority of my friends already know, however there are some people I talk to who don't, and I was thinking about making a facebook status coming out, but, I don't know how to word it, I don't know what to say and I'm really scared. Help?

2. Richie.

I came out in stages on Facebook started liking and sharing things gay related posting rainbows etc as my profile pic them I just declared my love for my man and changed all my profile but stages worked for me.

However you do it, don't be put out if no one or few respond, just be who you are and feel free to post and share whatever you like.

Hope it goes well!:thumbsup:

3. KayJay

I told all the people I wanted to tell in person and then eventually I just changed my gender setting on facebook and eventually everyone else just took the hint. Making a whole big post might work better though.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I just changed the name, gender, and pronouns on mine, but that was mostly because I was too scared to make an official post. If you want to make a status about it, I would just say that you're transgender, and you would like it if everyone used male pronouns + your new name from now on

5. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a friend who came out as trans on fb last year. She'd told her close friends and family beforehand, but I think it was news to most other people. The reaction was overwhelmingly positive for her :slight_smile: I think she did it very well, but it caused a few problems as she hadn't told her grandparents, so as long as you've told all the most important people then you should be okay on that front. Everyone was really supportive, and I think having public fb support made other people more accepting.

I won't post what she said for her anonymity and mine, but basically she said she didn't was to hide who she was anymore and she'd been thinking and reading and came to the conclusion that she's transgender. She announced she would be living as female from now on and and asked everyone to please use female pronouns, and she's thinking about taking on a female name (which she has now done). But her's was 6 paragraphs long :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It was very well phrased. You could always test out what you want to say with friends or with us if you want :slight_smile:

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

6. stormborn

i've been considering doing the same thing. this is what i have (sitting in a note on my computer :lol:slight_smile:
    "hey friends, i've changed my gender marker to male and my name to ___ because i am transgender. please use male pronouns when referring to me and call me ____ from now on. feel free to send me a message if you'd like to."

i'm trying to keep it short and simple, mostly partly because i haven't posted anything on there in over a year... :lol:

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe I made a huge post about it on tumblr regarding to coming out. I think with FB I just changed everything, went offline for the day and went back the next day to see if I got any response, and I didn't. What I did get was a support message on tumblr in response to coming out from a classmate and another was thrown off by it but never said much.

I did get a message about being out from someone who is dating a trans person and recently got a response from a classmate who made a coming out video on Youtube when I said I was surprised that there are more queer people from our graduating class. All the responses I got were positive.

As for wording a thing, I like what stormborn said. Keeping it short, simple and to the point is probably the best thing.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I changed my name and gender on mine last year. I then posted a status saying that I am transgender and u included some resources that people could read if they wanted to know more about transgender people. I also told people that they could ask me questions if they wanted to.

I was scared that I would get a big negative reaction. In reality though, most people were totally ok with me. There were some that said that they did not agree, but they still use my preferred name and pronouns.

9. Temoshi

I am coming out to a few people, but your comment about your grandparents makes me think of my grandmother... she's got dementia, plus she's really old fashioned. She was one of those ladies that let the man run things, and take care of her, which landed her in a nursing home because she wouldn't change her way of life.

I remember when I came out as bisexual before (before I even knew about Asexuality, so I thought it was the same thing as biromantic) my grandmother may have groaned a bit, and commented how my grandfather would disown me. But he was already deceased from a heart attack when I was younger.

Anyways, I don't think I'll come out to my grandmother anytime soon, but it seems like my family loves and accepts me already, from my aunt and my mother. Just came into close contact with my uncle in the last year, so he's starting to transition to getting back with the family (he moved away before, for years, and didn't contact us very much. We either had to make a trip, or fly a plane to his city before).

Afaik, I don't think Grandmother will take the info well, and then she'll forget and the complaining might start up another day if she forgets.

I'm not concerned about what my grandmother thinks though, but I still love her. I just doubt she'll ever change her ideals. She does watch Ellen a lot, but then she's the type of person to stop watching Ellen if she realizes Ellen is a lesbian.

I really don't give 2 shits if my grandmother doesn't like who I am, because I can't change her if she can't accept me.

Not to be cold, but that's just the way things are.