1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too scared to cross dress because of haircut

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Budweiser, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Budweiser

Hi guys, thanks so much for taking the time to help.

So, I've been wanting to do drag, or even just crossdress (is there a difference?) in everyday life. Thing is, for the last couple years my closet has been SUPER girly, I think I own 25 dresses (shut up I like shopping). I love a beautiful dress but I honestly feel better in just pants, so lately I've been wanting to revert back to my teenage days of not wearing feminine clothing. Back then, it was t-shirts and sweat pants. But now that I buy my own cloths, I could shop in the boys section.

However, I just got my hair cut really short. For the first time ever, I don't mind my less than perfect skin, I'm taking selfies, and picturing myself in my own daydreams and not a character (like from animes and stuff). I wish I had done this years ago.

But! if I start wearing guy cloths now with this haircut, it'll really stand out. It'll look like I'm going through some kind of weird phase, that will be embarrassing.

Maybe I shouldn't complain, men have it so much harder when it comes to these kinds of desires... what do you guys think?

2. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if you want to, then do it :slight_smile:. Nevermind what other people think!

3. BiPenguin

You life, your body. :slight_smile:

4. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, so I am in the same position. Just opposite.

I have started acquiring feminine things, working out the legs, shaving, making things presentable to prepare for going out. I am going to start going out at night, but I do a lot of weight lifting and am a CCW, so I don't need to worry about the safety issue as much in the city.

Problem is, my hair is also really short. I recognize myself as a man too, so my crossdressing doesn't stem from wanting to be "a woman" just feminine. (I'm still trying to figure this out). Therefore, I have little desire to wear a wig. Which is going to make things, very standoutish, and despite my overall masculine attitude, I certainly won't look it.

Realistically, having more people around when I go out will make it feel safer for me I think. That way I have my own support group - I have told one good friend and my GF was the one who found me out, also I told my sister last night. If that isn't possible for you, from my perspective...

If you wish you had done this years ago, you will only regret not doing it now farther down the road. If someone is making you feel embarrassed, do you really want them in your life? I for one only really cared about the people who know me. Apparently, they don't care what I do as long as I am happy with my life.

5. AlexTheGrey

Doooo iiiiit.

Really, it seems like it will only be embarrassing at first, and more because you are apprehensive of how people will react. I can empathize. Think about it for a minute though. Even if it was "just a phase", there's no reason for folks to respect you any less for it. If they do, or are unwilling to adapt, it is their problem, not yours. While it may be tough, if you can let go of that apprehension and do what you want, you will gain more than you lose, I think.

And well, I really do know how you feel, since I'm kinda going through something similar right now. And I've been procrastinating about it for a couple weeks. But I've got a trip coming up, work to do, and money is tight. :frowning2:

6. wanderinggirl

Start slowly, like a men's t-shirt with women's jeans or something. Whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Also if the last time you dressed non-feminine was in high school, you might be tempted to go back to sweatpants and t-shirts: DONT. Get some grown-up clothes; it'll make you look less like you're trying to go back to your teenage years and more like you're an adult. You don't have to spring for expensive dapper clothing, but simple things like wearing a men's jacket instead of women's will look more grown up than reverting back to your teenage wardrobe. Most importantly make sure stuff fits.

Also there are ways to wear hair that look more feminine than others; find the right balance for you. But even with short hair and less feminine clothes you probably won't be read as a man or even masculine.

7. itsAli

Weird phase...?
    there's loads of transgender people out there who are transitioning (like me) I wouldn't call that a weird phase. Please think before you say things like that, it's kind of offensive and upsetting.

Anyway, who cares? As long as you're comfortable, as long as you feel happy in what you're wearing, life's to short to care what strangers you won't see again think. And anyway, it's more acceptable for girls to dress like guys than the other way around.

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you should do it and not care what the others think.

9. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes :slight_smile:

10. Budweiser

Wow, thanks guys. You are absolutely right that I'm too worried about what other people think, that's easier with strangers than it is with loved ones. What your loved ones think of a person can be life and death... so I guess that's where the anxiety is coming from. It's not what "people" will think, it's what everyone who matters will think!

Going slowly is a good idea. Today I tried on some men's cloths and a chick who has been wanting to attend a drag show down town with me acted very surprised.

Clothing is obviously a very significant factor in our culture even though technically it's just fabric, so I don't know why I want to dress like a man. *shrugs* thanks again!

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 04:44 AM ----------

People post all the time saying that their friends and families are concerned that they're only going through a 'weird phase'. Or they haven't done anything yet and are afraid that that will be the reaction, as it is with my situation. They are very religious and they will definitely think it's a weird phase. It is pretty upsetting, isn't it?

#10 Budweiser, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  11. itsAli

Yeah, hearing it from my family is bad enough, I would have hoped a forum like this would be a safe space away from transphobic comments

12. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How else are people supposed to describe what they are going through if not to be honest about what their habits are being called? She didn't mean anything by it other than to express what people are saying about her. It is upsetting, that is the issue. That's what made her make the post to begin with. It's kind of hard to reword something, when that phrase is what you are being told by everyone around you...

13. itsAli

She wasn't quoting anyone else, she said "It'll look like I'm going through some kind of weird phase, that'll be embarrassing"
    She could have said
    "People may think I'm questioning my gender"
    "People may get the wrong impression of my gender"
    Etc. I've grown up with people telling me I'm going through a 'weird phase' and dressing how you want and cutting your hair how you want isn't weird. As long as you're comfortable with who you are and say F-U to society, then what does it matter what other people think?

14. Tetra

I don't think she meant it to be upsetting. I think she just means that where she owns a lot of dresses, and has been dressing girly for quite some time, it might come as a shock to people that she's suddenly wearing a very different style of clothing. As far as I know, she isn't transgendered, so it doesn't really have any bearing on that.

**edit: I didn't see the last couple of posts. But still.

15. itsAli

I'm just offended because when I came out as trans my parents were calling it a weird phase and were hoping i'd grow out of it. I just think it's wrong to say challenging the gender sterotypes and expanding the boundaries is a weird phase, guys should be able to wear dresses, girls should be able to cut their hair short, it isn't weird.
    But obviously because no one else is offended, I'm not allowed to be and my feelings are invalid.

16. Tetra

Hey, I've challenged gender stereotypes my whole life. I have short hair and my entire wardrobe consists of male clothing, because that's what I like, and that's what I feel comfortable in. I'm 100% in favour of anyone being able to wear whatever the hell they want, because I've lived it my whole life and know what goes along with challenging people's ideas of "gender stereotypes".

I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings, I was just saying that I don't think she meant to offend you.

17. wanderinggirl

Oooh are we the ones who matter?? :eusa_danc

18. Budweiser

No. Lol

I just don't have to confidence to not have it show on my face when someone I care about (friend or family) says "what are you wearing THAT for?" then they think about that hair cut I got they'll be like... ohh.. you'll go back to normal soon. That's what I was told all my teenage years. Maybe I just gave in in recent years, I do like pretty things, but maybe not wearing them. But I know my face will betray the fact that I don't know how to react then it just looks like I don't know what I'm doing =/

My friend already thinks that staying up late and watching bloody movies is an issue for me, (despite the fact that I told her my bedtime is 4 am and my favorite movie series is Saw). I'm just too much of a quiet person >.<

Thanks again

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 11:44 PM ----------

I'm sorry you felt that way then felt you were invalid. But who cares what strangers think anyway?

19. itsAli

There's a difference between not caring what strangers think, and being able to call them out when they say something problematic smh.

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frankly in my eye opening out of the closet no question in public travels?

People either can't tell if I'm not bio female.

Or they don't care.

Be happy with yourself.