1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RayXxx, Aug 12, 2014.

1. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I was just curious, does anyone attend therapy for their gender dysphoria or transgender issues? I'm sure for those of you in transition have/are.

How helpful has it been for you, and if you transitioned or are transitioning is it helping you feel better?

2. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    I attempted to bring up the issue with my therapist but he avoided that conversation completely and said something to the effect of " I shouldn't be indulging such thoughts". After 4 sessions with him I "forgot" about my 5th scheduled meetup with him.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, I'm sorry that you had that sort of experience with a therapist. It sounds like you got one of the bad ones...

I have gone to therapy for my transition. At first, I saw it as something that I had to do in order to continue my transition. But, as time went on, I found that I was starting to feel more comfortable with myself and I was becoming more comfortable showing my male side (which before I felt like I had to force it). She helped me once and for all break away from that little voice that kept telling me that I was female and should act that way. Since she works for my college though, I have not seen her since before summer break.

4. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have and it helped me tons & tons, I really-REALLY miss my last therapist.

5. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've only seen people a couple of times, and while cathartic I'm not sure it was quite what I needed. I need more in real life friends that can better relate to me. But then, everyone can use some good friends.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in therapy since I was 16, much of the time I was there to weed out my depression/anxiety issues despite my dysphoria being the core of it. Despite much educating of the people I saw, I didn't get far and honestly left more depressed than I was going in.

I had heard of people who specialized in trans issues around the start, but I never perused them until this summer when I had been without a therapist since November 2013 and was lucky to find someone who worked with local trans people I encountered on a nifty trans website and was very reasonable with a sliding scale ($25-$40).

It's only been 3 or so sessions now, but things are way better than before. She's really chill and laid back and is associated with someone I saw previously who was really involved with the LGBTQ community and I'm sure I probably could have gotten a letter or more info from her if I still saw her (I had to cancel and ended up forgetting). Despite this, she's fairly reasonable with scheduling (they can be whenever you want; I prefer once a week to get my letter sooner.