1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's All About The Stupid Clothing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am agonizing over being male over the absolutely ridiculous reason that I can't dress casually to work- I envy women who wear clothes that are a billion times more comfortable to me.

It's absurd, because I don't mind being male- I'm a straight guy. It's all these freaking rules that society has crafted that make being a male agonizing. Guys can't show emotions, and worse off, guys can't wear dresses.

It was far less of an issue going to school and being in college because I was able to dress casually and have long hair.

Now, the workforce is killing me because of absurd clothing regulations in most jobs. I literally feel depressed when in a suit/tie, or even a dress shirt. So I've been unemployed- but how long can this really last? Why should I even have to consider gender reassignment because of some stupid clothing rules?

2. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very upsetting, right? I really hope that in the future these rules won't affect us so much.

I'm sorry that I can't help you with this, I can tell you that it's not a good idea to transition if the only reason for this is to be able to do things that the opposite sex can do. I'm female assigned at bith and I can tell you that life is not so easy for us as it seems. Also, you don't need to be a woman to use this kind of clothing. I heard about a guy that wear feminine clothes in public, but he's still a man and straight. So I'd say that transition is not something you need to do if your only reason for it is to have the right to do things that males usually wouldn't, I can't tell you that the people around you'd accept that though. You could try looking for a job that doesn't restrict you too much or trying to use the clothes you're comfortable with outside your workplace?

3. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I hear ya. Suit and tie job here. Luckily, I can now do the slacks and golf shirt thing. Still... I envy all my female coworkers. I'd like nothing more than to wear a kilt/dress :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I've been looking for some kilts/shorter kilts that are not ridiculously bulky I can wear after work outside of the LGBT area I live in (where I feel more apt to dress how I want). There is a larger crossdressing crowd in my area too so I can meet up with them. They seem to be more friendly, I just don't tell them I am bisexual.

4. wanderinggirl

5. Temoshi

Wanderinggirl has a point, the more guys that crossdress that aren't total creepers (you know, average people) the less shocking it will be. People assume only extreme perverts crossdress, and that misconception needs to end.

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's my personal belief that everything is gender neutral. It's a shame society on the whole doesn't seem to agree with me.

Do you dress how you like outside of work? It might benefit you to do so if you aren't already. Pick yourself up some of the clothes you envy. There's nothing wrong with it, clothes are clothes. :slight_smile:

7. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I dunno. At our law firm (will not be named) we have a few openly lesbian staff at our HQ. One of them typically wear men's clothing. Whereas, our one gay male employee wears the most immaculate suits and shoes... But that is his thing, he is masc. I think it really depends on the field though. In the world of legal, suits are the thing. So I see lots of women wearing masculine-esk suits. While our environment is far more open than other legal offices, I think I would be "talked" to if I showed up to work wearing a skirt :frowning2:

Either way, field of work aside, it's :***: to have so much societal pressure when it comes to our wardrobe choices.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just clothes.

Too bad the world is so obsessed with antiquated gender roles and such.

9. Candace

I hate this too...grrrr. It's sad how these gender roles and what we are told to wear based on our gender just separates us even more apart. As long as you're wearing the company's logo and representing the company in a professional matter, why does it matter so much? :dry:

10. Hexagon

Yeah, gender roles suck terribly. They oppress men and women in different ways, but they still do oppress us.

Just be glad you aren't expected to wear heels if you're worried about discomfort.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hex is right.

Heels suck.