1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I go about finding a Therapist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CuddleBunny, Aug 16, 2014.

1. CuddleBunny

I really want to see a Gender Therapist but I really don't know how I would go about it without my family finding out about it. I do not drive and I live on my parent's property, though not directly in the main house.

I do not think it is something that would really go over well with my family, so I'd rather none of them know what I am going for.

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. stormborn

4. Lucaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I searched Google Maps for counseling in my area, and went to the websites of each practice or each counselor. One of them had "gender therapy" listed as an area they worked in, and so I decided to see him.

If you see a general therapist who happens to specialize in gender therapy (like mine), they don't have to know what you're seeing them for, even if they happen to find out that you're going. You can just be like "I'm having some issues that I wanted to discuss with a professional."

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spoke to my local college lbgt group. They referred me to the one I'm seeing.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recommend checking Psychology Today, as they have a neat section on finding therapists for a number of issues and subject matters. If nothing appears there, look at Google or trans oriented websites like TrueSelves, Susans, or Lauras Playground.

If you have a PFLAG chapter near you, they could be very resourceful. Kasey also makes a good point about universities. If you know of an LGBT club the school has (if you don't, investigate the school's website) get in touch with the president of said club and see if they have any information. Supposedly the one at a local university attended the Phillie Trans Health Conference and has a ton of info. You'll be surprised with what you find.

If you don't have insurance, inquire about a sliding scale since they'll usually find a way to work with you. Of the three people I know locally; one does $40 a session, one does $200 the first and $150 the following, and one does $25-40 in the morning/afternoon and about $60 for night sessions.

There's also the possibility of doing sessions online, like over Skype as well if you feel weird about going to offices.

Good luck!