1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drawing the line between gender identity and gender expression?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm questioning my gender again. I'm still very insecure about it. Doubts come to my mind and make me wonder if I'm really transmale. I want to be sure of it and get it over with, but it's rather hard with these doubts.

The reason I'm doubting myself is because I'm not sure about the line between gender identity and gender expression. I know my expression. I want to be seen as male, I want to look masculine (not super masculine or anything, just to the point where no one would question that I'm a guy), and people to use male pronouns. I see gender expression as an external thing.

The thing I'm wondering about is my gender identity, the internal part, which I've been told over and over is different from gender expression. When asking if I'm transgender or not, people say, "Do you feel like a male or female?" in which I don't know. How do you feel like a gender, internally? As far as I can tell, there's no way to "feel" like a gender without some gender expression taken into consideration, such as who you want to be seen as (which is external), what kind of clothes do you like to wear, etc. How can I "feel" like a boy if my mind still has feminine traits? I can say I want to be seen as a boy, and I want to be a boy. But does "want" qualify as being transgender, or do you have to feel, which I seem to be struggling to do? Everyone says being trans isn't a choice, so if I want to be a boy and don't know if I actually feel like one, does that make me a cis girl? What if I'm a tomboy; I want people to see me as male, I want to be male, but since my brain is cis, I'm not actually trans? Sometimes I wonder if I'm agender presenting male because of all this. I'm so confused.

I'm wording my thoughts so terribly, but I can't seem to make it any clearer. Although there's a bunch of jumbled thoughts which make it seem pretty clear inside. But I can't put them into sentences. It's midnight and I'm really tired, so sorry if this didn't make sense. I hope I can get some help. Maybe I'm thinking harder, not smarter.

#1 Tai, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For everybody there's going to be a different way of thinking about and dealing with this one I bet. For my part it came down to what feels authentic to me as opposed to what feels like the usual 'I am supposed to'. Thanks for the interesting topic.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one defines what or how you express your gender. Gender is a societal construct that biology defines in society.

There are feminine males, masculine females. Cis and trans. Gay straight. One does not define the other.

Your real question is this.

"Am I trans enough"?

There is no transgender police coming to take your transgender ID card. I keep asking myself that. Omg I am not on hormones. I can't be trans.

Bullshit.

The real thing here? You be you. That's what matters.

4. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I know exactly what you mean I've been struggling with the same thing. I was thinking about trying meditation to try and clear my head a bit and see through the clouds of bullshit and find my true gender buried deep with in me. I was reading up on otherkin and apparently meditation is a really important part in finding your true species. My theory; it might be the same for gender. So maybe you could give meditation a go?:thumbsup:

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

These are the kinds of things that have been going thru my head for years. (Look at my username). It sounds like you've got a case of over think, just like me. As I've been working on stopping the over think, I've started to realize that lots of it doesn't matter. If you're more comfortable dressing as a guy, and want to be identified as a guy, you're a guy.

6. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I recently just went through a similar thinking process. I've gone through several coming outs this year and inevitably I just came to point where I broke it down to the essentials as you did, OP.

I eventually just realized that you define your gender and gender expression is merely an outlet although it is as equally important to what you feel internally at the end of every day. Just because I can wear a dress in public and have a good chat with a girlfriend makes me in the eyes of society as 'female', doesn't really mean anything to me personally.

Internally, I'm male. I can't prove to you that I am but I know it deeply as if it were in tune with every beat of my heart (lol as corny as that sounds.) And yet I'm aware of the fact that my gender expression is fluid and I embrace it.

Take time to think on it but remember that there are no rules or requirements to any identity- it's all up to you.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your reply. I tried telling myself that, but it was like telling a blind person what sight is like. I don't know what feels authentic and what doesn't. >.<

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 11:08 AM ----------

When I'm just me, I don't know what I am. I feel like I need to know so I can explain to others. If I tell others, "Yeah, um, I'm not really female... I've got some feminine traits, want to transition to look male, still hate my body..." they will probably be confused. I would confuse myself telling then about my gender.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 11:12 AM ----------

Meditation seems like a really good way to find gender. I do a modified, not-so-real version of meditating and just kind of sit and think with no sound around me.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 11:20 AM ----------

Thank you, you've cleared my head up a bit. I hate overthinking; I do it in school all the time.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel male 24/7.

Here is a snippet of my daily thoughts:

"I need to eat. Ugh."
    "Shit! I haven't done my homework!"
    "Stop calling me, Mom!"

Here is a snippet of what isn't in my daily thoughts:

"Wow. I really want a dick."
    "The fuck are these titties on my chest?"
    "This sweat makes me feel so manly."

And here is a snippet of what I think of when I'm picking out clothes:

"Ugh, Mom! I don't need any new clothes!"
    "That's ugly as fuck."
    "That dress is really pretty. Too bad I can't fit in it."

And here is a snippet of what I don't think of when I'm picking out clothes:

"These are girl clothes!"
    "Too pink."
    "A dress? You expect me to wear a fucking dress?"

My point? Feeling male is when you identify with the male gender. That's all.
    My gender expression is feminine to androgynous. I don't mind wearing a dress. I don't mind looking pretty. I just want to have my body when I'm doing it.

Call me a crossdresser or whatever, but the truth's still there. I'm 100% male, and if anyone calls me a lady, I'm not going to censor myself.

And you? Do you 'feel male'?

I agree with everything else that has been said. Don't ask yourself if you're trans enough. Ask yourself if you identify with the male gender. If you do, you're male. If not, you're not.

I know where you're coming from. I felt like I should have been born a male - that's why I'm trans. But I don't know why, and I'm sure many others don't, either.

It's just all inside. Don't let anyone tell you that your feelings are invalid simply because you are unable to explain it. And if you end up not being trans, is that so bad? Cis, trans, whatever - you're still you. No one should blame you for just trying to figure yourself out.

Best of luck. (*hug*)

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes; thank you. It's just that I'm afraid of saying I'm something, thinking I am, and then not turning out to actually be that. I don't want to be wrong about this.

10. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't over think it. If you're wrong, you're wrong. Thinking about it excessively ends in analysis paralysis. At some point you have to say enough to the decision process and say it is decided. For now.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, your "spoiler" situations make a lot of sense. My head is so clear now.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 11:37 AM ----------

Thank you all, you've been a great help.

12. Acm

Acm Guest

One of my second biggest fears about coming out besides rejection is the fact that I might be wrong and change my mind later. I wish there was a way to know for sure :frowning2:

13. Lucaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe you are agender and transmasculine? Maybe this video will help you figure it out (it really helped me).

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=4bWl9G8mYww[/YOUTUBE]

For me, I know what it feels like to be "woman" because I've been pregnant, and I know what it feels like to be "androgynous". I think I know what it feels like to be "man" but I only get it in my dreams, and can't recall it while awake. If I could describe these feelings to you I would, but I can't because they're just personal FEELINGS. :/

(The embedded video showed up in my preview; if it doesn't show up when I post, I have no idea why.)

14. AlexTheGrey

I just went through a bout of this myself. Lots of good advice given up to this point.

It can be hard to let go of the thinking that drives society into this idea that sex = gender = expression. Even though I'm well aware of women who identify as female, but dress masculinely, and vice versa without outright cross dressing... I still couldn't seem to let go to the idea. Still something I'm working on, although it is getting better. It is really a weird experience to realize that I've been holding myself to gender roles more strictly than I do people in general.

As others have said, how do you feel? And separately, how do you want to present yourself to others?

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's up there with number 1 for me. I'm really afraid of screwing up.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 02:39 AM ----------

I can't watch the video. I understand what you mean about the feelings, though.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 02:44 AM ----------

(Eeyy! Another Washington state person!)
    I don't know how I feel, I guess I feel like a girl who wants to be a boy. A girl because I was born in a girl's body. But I really want a boy's. I want to express and present myself as a boy, too. I want people to see me as a boy and the only tie to being a girl is that I was previously one in the earlier parts of my life. I want them to refer to me (using pronouns) as a boy. I hope that someday people will look at me and NOT think things like "Wait, that's a girl under all that? So that's really a girl... She must be a tomboy." I don't want to be a tomboy, I want to be a boy.

#15 Tai, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  16. AlexTheGrey

Reading this, it sounds like you actually know your identity pretty well. Just that maybe you don't know how to describe it without invoking expression as well. That's okay. It is fine that your identity and desired expression align and intermingle. You are very much not alone in that. The idea behind making it two distinct things is to really say that the two being in alignment isn't the only way to be, nothing more. It's to remind us of the variety possible.

If you let me suggest something, I'd say try to take a break from thinking about this for a few days if you can. Find something to distract you. Friends, hobbies, family, whatever helps you unwind and relax. At some point, when the details of what you wrote have faded from your memory, come back and read what you wrote. I find it helps to let "past me" talk to me in this way. I notice things I didn't when I wrote it, including my tone.

17. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I'll try to do that. It'll be hard because it's been on my mind for a while, due to dysphoria and stuff. I have pretty busy days, so hopefully it won't be too hard. I don't know if I can stay away from EC, though. I enjoy this place too much.

18. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does it really matter if you can't clearly define or label your 'inner' identity? We are all human beings, ultimately. Just be yourself in the present moment, allow whatever feelings you have to arise naturally, don't either force or suppress anything. You don't have to 'be' any predefined gender at all, actually...you can just be 'you'.

On the other hand, I can relate to your confusion somewhat. I feel like a blend of the masculine and the feminine, and sometimes I cannot nor do I want to pin myself down as either of the two. I'm just going with the flow for now, trying to let myself feel what comes naturally, without worrying about having to define it for anyone else. Anyway, who says that you must give any explanation? Why should you have to? Your inner world is your own business, no-one elses. :slight_smile:

#18 Damien, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  19. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This might sound weird, but I feel like labels have more of an impact, they're more important to have, something like that, when it comes to gender than sexuality. When talking about sexuality, I'm perfectly fine with saying, "I like who I like," and not specifying/labeling myself. But with gender, it's who you are, not necessarily what you like, as opposed to sexuality. So I feel like I need a label for my gender to fit in and define who I am. I can go with your suggestion if it were sexuality, but I feel more dependent on labels for gender. Right now, I'm kind of going along with the flow as well, and seeing if I change or anything.

20. Just Jess

My personal belief is that our instincts and what we're taught are so closely related you can't separate them completely. From everything I have read, our brains continue developing those core, very real parts of us that are us a few years after we're born. Part of that's physical. Just like our skulls don't fuse shut completely until we have been alive for a very long time, our brains keep changing too.

I think there is a separation that exists. I think of gender identity and gender expression, as being a little like a street address and a house that's built on top of it. The house at a street address has been affected by the world around it after it was created. Even while it was being created, there were little influences. It was built as part of a neighborhood, and designed by the same people that built the houses around it.

Gender identity to me is just that part of us that says "everything here is girl" and "everything here is boy", just the same way your brain can map different parts of your body and say "everything here is my right arm". Some of us, that part of our brain, that doesn't do anything but point at things, is saying we're supposed to be one thing, and the people around us - and our own bodies - are saying something else. Even if everyone around us is acting in accord with that brain map, for some of us, when that part of us that can only reference and point sees us doing things it would understand as male things even if we grew up raised by wolves, like having sex, it gives some of us guff over that kind of thing.

So that's the way I look at it. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of how that house of gender expression is built, is completely arbitrary. Pink used to be for boys, that kind of thing. However, I'm entirely convinced that if I was raised to be taught that pink was for boys, that idiot pointy part of my brain would make me feel like crap every time I wore pink. If that makes any kind of sense.

That's really why all this is a problem, because that part of our brain which runs on automatic, and sees that our map doesn't line up with what happened, screws with us to try to correct things. It has access to all sorts of little things that make us feel bad when we do things it doesn't like, and makes us feel good when we're doing things it does.

The thing is, "fixing" that part, really would change a lot about who we are as people, at our core. I mean on the surface, big deal right, it's an address. Well, to torture this little analogy a little more, "fixing" that part of us would be like changing your address to somewhere in Canada if you live in the U.S. It can make a huge difference. Of course, some of that rewiring happens slowly and naturally with hormone replacement therapy; your physical brain changes a little if you go on it. But because your overall personality remains what it is, and you are lining up with this thing - lining up with this very real part of you - instead of fighting it, the change is a lot less drastic. Maybe you get a different zip code.

So that's how I look at it anyway. That makes sense with both what I experience directly, and the facts I have learned.