1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid thinking or not?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Justsomeklutz, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Justsomeklutz

Is it only transsexual people with single sex names that can change their name? I know this may sound like a stupid question but my family said that because I have a unisex name that I shouldn't change my name, and that any trans* person with a unisex name shouldn't change it... Is that true? And that changing my name is changing my identity, so I'm slightly lost on what to say or do. :confused:

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You own your identity, nobody else. I reject that line entirely since it seems to be purely based off of other peoples expectations.

Personally the name I want is just the female version of my rl name but I have preferred it in my head since about 1995. Thanks for the post.

3. KayJay

That is silly, if you want to change your name then you can regardless of what your name is currently. I think where I live it is at 18 you can change your name without parental consent, so if you wait a while you can do it regardless of their thoughts since you won't need them to be involved.

I think that changing your name is changing your identity. I mean everyone you knew before will need to be updated on the new name and work on calling you that one instead of the old one. That is it though, you really just are called something different, you as a person shouldn't really change. Unless maybe being called a name you feel better with makes you more confident then I suppose it changes your identity in a good way!

My old name was considered unisex I think and I contemplated not changing it just so people wouldn't have to call me a new name. In the end it is up to you, even if you have to wait a while it will be your choice.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I think you should be able to change it if you want to. Maybe some trans people with unisex names are fine with them, and that's cool, but if someone wants to change their name they should be allowed to.

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. And, I understand a lot of people change their name not because it in and of itself is gendered, but because the people around them tie that name with that person to a certain gender, often making it harder on the person transitioning.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i had an uncle who changed his name just because he didn't like it. it was nothing gender related he just wanted to change it to a name he liked. having said this im in Canada and even here the rules for age, etc. vary from province to province.

7. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I talked a lot to a guy that changed his legal name to Zephyr. He wouldn't tell me what his name was. Kind of always wanted to change my name legally at some point.

8. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I wish changing your name was that easy over here.

Completely changing your name is nigh to impossible in my country unless you seriously suffer from your given one.