1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've been thinking about my gender lately

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by queenmarceline, Aug 17, 2014.

1. queenmarceline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am biologically female and it's not like I hate it, I'm perfectly fine with having breasts and such, but lately I realized that I have never really worn "female" clothes all that often and if I do, it's likely because I'm obligated to. I mostly wear t-shirts/button down shirts/hoodies and jeans. And I realized a few days ago that if someone mistook me for a boy I really wouldn't care (I have short hair and don't wear form fitting clothes so it is possible). Whenever I address myself as a woman it just feels weird tho, like even in a joking way "I'm an independent woman who dont need no man" I just kinda question myself like are you sure you're a woman?? Whenever I see myself in the mirror I try to look androgynous, like make my jaw more pronounced and trying to build muscle and stuff. could I simply be one of those butch kind of gals? I just don't know

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One telling thing for me was how I reacted inside to being called 'girl' etc by people than by my birth gender. Stuff like that was very confirmational for me.

3. tone

You might just be a girl who likes to look more androgynous or butch, that's definitely a possibility. Some questions you could think about:

How do you feel about your body? Most transgender people have dysphoria, kind of a sense of their body being wrong/not matching their gender.

Could you see yourself living full time as another gender and being happy? This could be as male, androgyne, genderfluid, genderqueer, or any other gender. I would recommend researching non-binary genders and seeing if any of them describe how you feel.

Would you rather be called by different pronouns like he/him or they/them?

If you could wake up and be any gender and have the body you wanted (matching that gender) what would it be?

It's hard to tell from what you're saying whether you're trans or not, you could just be a girl who doesn't like stereotypically girly things. Gender is complicated and might take a while to figure out but I hope these questions help a little. :slight_smile:

4. Candace

You're a girl who doesn't want to be forced to comply with societal standards. I think that it's great that you're standing up for yourself and doing what you want, in spite of what the gender norms in our societies expect us to do. Hey, I'm a male and I have a female cartoon character as my avatar. Do you think I care if I don't conform to gender standards? Neither should you :slight_smile:.