1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria worse in the summer?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Owl333, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Does anyone else find Dysphoria to be worse in the summer? I find my chest feels about twice the size and I feel really fat. Is this just me or does the heat do that to anyone else?:icon_sad:

2. anann

I feel the same way. For me I think it is because I can't wear a sweatshirt like I do when its cooler and therefore my chest is more visible. Also I think binders are particularly uncomfortable in hot weather.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem. For me, it usually because it becomes uncomfortable to wear an undershirt since it is so hot. So, I have to go without. Also, shorts are not the most flattering thing in the world, so that might contribute to you feeling fat. (Then again, I'm more of a fan of baggy shorts.)

4. sguyc

Well during the summer people show off their bodies more and are expected to show more skin. This makes sexual dimorphism more apparent. Seeing how different your body is from your target body through examples of those around you is painful. Winter is better because everyone's wearing lots of stuff so there is less difference outwardly between males and females

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2014 at 02:10 PM ----------

Well during the summer people show off their bodies more and are expected to show more skin. This makes sexual dimorphism more apparent. Seeing how different your body is from your target body through examples of those around you is painful. Winter is better because everyone's wearing lots of stuff so there is less difference outwardly between males and females.

5. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually feel a bit better in the summer. That may be because I pretty much stay at home all the time, so I don't see other girls that I get jealous of during school. :/

6. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah, I think for me it's because I can't hide under jackets anymore so it's hard to hide my chest. Plus I'm out of school, so I have nothing to do to take my mind off of dysphoria

7. Yosia

It hits me like a brick in summer because i cant be doing with shorts and things. And im really scared for my holiday because im going to get weird looks being in the pool with a top on.

8. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, my first instinct when it's hot is to take off my shirt to cool off like other dudes but then I remember I can't do that and it's upsetting.

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At running camp I did take off my shirt because it was hot, and I wondered if that would make me feel like a guy. But the sports bra ruined it all. I feel more dysphoric when I'm around people, so summer's actually better because I'm not around others' as much.

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah my issue with summer is the summer clothing. A lot of the time when I feel dysphoric all I want to do is wear loose jeans and hide under a big sweatshirt, but that's not an option in the summer.
    Plus swimsuits. I don't own anything I can swim in that makes me feel even a little bit okay.

11. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Yeah, I can wear a sweatshirt or a binder to look completely flat, and in the summer it tends to be hot either way. I also find that my chest actually looks bigger when it's hot. If it always stayed like it is when it's cold I wouldn't have to bind...