1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hrt acquiring process

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kelp Krunch, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Kelp Krunch

I've heard a couple different things regarding this, do you or do you not need a therapist recommendation for HRT? If so, how long does that last, i.e. can I hold off a couple months before going to a physician with it? And do I just schedule any appointment with a doctor or does it need to be like an endocrinologist?

Really I guess I'd just like a breakdown of the process.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are two different paths. One is the therapist route. As for a timeline on that, it depends on the therapist. Each therapist has their own way of handling transgender people. The other route is informed consent. There are only a few clinics in the United States that currently do this, since it is a newer process. With this, you go to the clinic and they explain the pros and cons of hormones. Then then make sure that you are mentally prepared to start hormone therapy. This is a faster process. I got my script on the same day that I went. There are some places that will take a week or longer though. So, there is no concrete timeline.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Brad I was wondering if I had to do the therapist thing. This is useful information for when I am ready to start that part.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have a Planned Parenthood in your area, inquire about informed consent there. Places now are opening their doors to that, which is fantastic.

5. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all