1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about taking T...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by breathmints, Aug 19, 2014.

1. breathmints

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am absolutely terrible with shots, so i've been looking up other ways to take T. I am rather fond of the idea of just sticking a patch on my arm or thigh. Has anyone ever used patches? How well do they work compared to shots? Is it about the same? How do I go about getting them?
    I hope it's not too much to ask!

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depending on your skin type, patches might not work very well. I wanted to do anything but shots, but my body decided that it hated the transdermal methods of T and I ended up having to give myself shots. I've been on for just over 4 months now, and the shots have become much easier than they were in the beginning.

From what I have read and heard elsewhere, it takes longer for some changes to happen with patches, creams, and gels. The con with using the transdermal methods is that they can cause some skin irritation, and they have to be applied daily (as opposed to taking a shot weekly or bi-weekly or even every 10 days). They also are more expensive. So that is something to take into account as well.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

There's always the alternatives to shots, gel and testosterone cream (I don't know anything about patches), although they might cause irritation and changes might be slower. As someone who isn't fond of shots, yet alone needles, subcutaneous injections have been relatively painless and easy for me, compared to IM (intramuscular). Though, if you're still hesitant about shots, you could inquire your doctor about taking gel instead.

4. Hexagon

I currently use gels, which work fine. I'm switching to shots soon, because I don't like to do it every day. I've had the shots before, and I can barely feel the needle it's so small.