1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you realize you were trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Acm, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

Sorry if there's been a thread like this before, but I haven't seen one like it and I wanted to hear everyone's stories. How did you first realize you were trans? Was it more of a quick realization, or did it take a while of researching first?

For me, even though I knew what being trans was for a while before, I never really understood what dysphoria was, or that was I was feeling even was dysphoria. I'd briefly thought about the possibility that I might be trans before, but I tried not to dwell on it because it was a scary thought. Eventually I started questioning when I was 14 and got kind of freaked out about it, and I started calling myself agender for a while. I experimented with stuff like binding, and wearing male clothes, and I eventually realized that I was actually a trans guy and not agender. I've been repressing my true feelings for so long that it's been really difficult, especially dealing with dysphoria, but I'm glad I finally figured it out.

2. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you figured it out too :slight_smile: For me I basically looked over my childhood and remembered how I used to insist I was a boy, dress like a boy, act like a boy, think about sex changes etc... when I was 7. As I got to secondary school I repressed those feelings in order to fit in with other girls... yeah that didn't go so well. I experienced really bad self esteem issues with my body that I now know is called dysphoria. I suffered from depression (and still do tbh) and I didn't know why I felt so bad until I caught myself dreaming about being male again. I also realised that it wasn't normal to want to be a boy so badly and I looked it up and found this new word to describe my situation, trans. I'm still coming to terms with it.

3. Yosia

I have always felt different but i never knew why until i discovered what transgender was so i thought i fit under the trans* umbrella rather nicely. Thats how i discovered. ^.^

4. yven

Oh my god, I can relate so so so much to you. Same for me. Just a few days ago I remembered how I told my best friend in 6th grade that I would get a sex change when I was old enough. Also I struggled with extreme dysphoria the past few years, knowing what it is made it a bit easier (not getting a binder made it harder though). And my dysphoria actually worsened my social anxiety disorder.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I realized I couldn't bury the feeling of wanting to be female.

Tried time and time again. At some point I was like... Fuck it. This who I am and I need to recognize that.

6. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember at age 6 trying to convince my best friend I had to be male because I had a low voice and acted like a boy. Dysphoria sucks, I can't get a binder either - I'm not out - and I'm really really uncomfortable without one. Hopefully one day... I'm really sorry that you had bad experiences with social anxiety and dysphoria - I can see how that would make things worse in a social situation. If you need to talk, message me :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Aug 2014 at 06:34 PM ----------

I admire your courage so much... It's really a beautiful thing that you can accept who you are ... I'm still trying :/.

7. itsAli

I went through 2 years of thinking I was genderfluid, I thought this at the start of year 11 and came out at the end of the year, when I knew I wouldn't see anyone again because I was going off to college. I was fine with this because I didn't really have too much dysphoria, I mean, it was there, but I could ignore it.
    Then I started college last september, and I got a boyfriend in October, 3 months later I came out to him as genderfluid and he bought me a binder for christmas, he was completely fine with it.
    Then I started to have more 'guy days' than 'girl days' back in about April, I wasn't out to my mum so I couldn't wear my binder at home, I felt awkward wearing it at my boyfriends when his parents were around and I could only wear it occasionally because my dysphoria wasn't so bad I relied on it.
    I thought I'd settle down and I'd go back to my feminine self, like I did last year, when I went through a period of only being masculine. But I didn't. My dysphoria started to get worse and I hated female pronouns and my birth name (But everyone at college knows me as Ali anyway) I did a lot of research, i was in a lot of denial and I had so much internalised transphobia. I started talking to someone on Tumblr about it who just so happened to go to my college before I started, and left when I joined. I started talking to him about things, I went online as male to see what it was like, I joined Empty Closets and a Facebook group to learn more about my gender identity, and eventually, I accepted it and I was alright with it. I came out to my mum in June, cut my hair in July and came out to all of my friends last week sometime (A few of my really close ones already knew) everyone was and is so supportive, and I couldn't have done it without them.
    Now I'm experimenting with my gender identity, I'm going to get more masculine clothes, started trying to contour my face to pass in public and as of today I have a packer on its way to me :slight_smile:

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I forgot about this until recently, but I remember when I was a lot younger (pre-puberty) I thought that the doctors had made a mistake when they told everyone that I was a girl, and I thought I was actually biologically male and that the doctors just mislabeled me. I was worried about how my parents would react when they found out about it and I felt like it was a big secret. It's weird how I forget about this gender stuff and now I'm remembering it all and it seems so obvious now :rolle:

9. itsAli

When I was young I'd sometimes dress up like a boy and get my parents to call me Alex, mum would draw a moustache on my face using eyeliner pencil

10. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I learned that someone I graduated with was a gorgeous woman now (good looking guy in picture) I felt admiration and a massive envy. That told me I obviously hadn't really let go of the old longing to be something that externally I was not.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was wondering if I was bisexual when I came to EC because I had a crush on two girls. I was uneducated in terms of LGBT-everything, and I only knew that there was a gay, lesbian, and bisexual sexuality; I didn't know anything about transgendered stuff. When I realized I wasn't straight, I stuck to this forum and also checked out the gender forum, where I learned about gender identity. I've been questioning myself ever since, but it's getting clearer and clearer. When I first found out that people can feel gender dysphoria, can feel like they don't belong with the gender they were assigned, I felt this sudden realization that that might be what I was feeling all through elementary, middle school, and my first two years of high school, when I was showing a bunch of signs of being transgender and had identified as a tomboy the majority of the time. I'd been confused why tomboys still thought they were girls and didn't want to be a boy. I thought I was the only tomboy who wanted to actually be a boy.

#11 Tai, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  12. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's such a basic thing I never think about it, but... Not ever do I refer to myself mentally in male pronouns. It feels wrong, and honestly makes me feel a little sick. Always has.

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT. I even share the "I forgot about this until recently" part. :lol:

I actually think this is how I first found out about how penises looked like. I kept thinking my vagina was a penis or something. I don't know. But holy fuck, I remembered being so disappointed when I first saw a dick, and I didn't even know why.

As for me, I don't know. I didn't realize I was trans until the beginning of this year, I think, and before that, although I have felt male for as long as I could remember, I felt some sort of disconnect to transgender people. It didn't occur to me that a transgender person could be a kid like me, and it felt and still does feel entirely too unbelievable that I, myself, could be trans.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Something always felt off to me. Growing up, it wasn't so much of a problem, until I hit puberty, then I definitely knew something was wrong, but I lacked the knowledge and resources back then to identify what the dissonance exactly was. Years and years of dysphoria were brushed off as 'low self-esteem', the incongruence between body and mind only worsened, female friends would make comments at times about how they'd like to be a boy for a day or more, casually, I assumed my thoughts were of the norm. I honestly knew hardly anything about transitioning or trans people until I started looking more into transitioning and gender dysphoria, and everything clicked from that point onward. I still remember the day it all hit me, feeling so stupid for having not realised it before.

15. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Through counselling and mindfulness meditation and basically just getting away from a lot of shit I'd been putting up with for years I finally realised I had this really strong female part of myself I'd been repressing. It seems obvious that it was always there looking back. I always knew there was something I was running away from, I think it was obvious to other people around me too.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a cliche, but it's been something I've always dealt with, even when I tried to bury it.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. It's not.

I have always tried to bury it until the past 8 months.

18. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Couldn't have said it better.

19. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope the trans folks don't mind me replying here, as I am happy keeping my male body; but, what I found halfway through the journey of discovery of this year, was that I often slip into these feminine feelings - especially when aroused. It feels very liberating. And lately, when I dance, my moves are feminine, also. Although I recall, I always wanted to be able to express what is, to be honest, my rather androgynous nature all my life, but it was only after coming here for a while, did I begin to allow this aspect of myself to shine forth whenever it wished to. I now choose clothes that highlight the slender shape of my body - I no longer feel the need to try to look 'tough' or 'muscly'. I don't mind that folks can see I'm not a regular male, I actually like it. Anyway to answer the original question, well I always looked longingly at some of the beautiful tops women can get to wear, and rued the fact that the selection for guys seemed so boring and plain by comparison...I mean why can't we guys also have velvety textured materials, ornate and tasteful patterns fgs, and those kind of half see-though, half opaque tops (I could go on, but you get the idea :lol:slight_smile:. And I have always felt quite androgynous, I just didn't have a name for it, neither was I totally accepting of it (I kept thinking, "I must try to be more manly, more tough, more masculine!") But as for 'how' the acceptance began, well it was during sexual arousal, that I realized 'this aspect of myself is so beautiful...' :redface: And not long after, I gave up fighting it any longer, and joyfully embraced it. <3

#19 Damien, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  20. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can totally relate to what your saying here. I also get that feeling of just being natural, or being beautiful even when I embrace that female part of myself. Its hard to put into words.