1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

romance and being genderqueer

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ctrl alt delete, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi guys,

So I've been starting to worry about my chances of meeting someone now that I'm sure I'm genderqueer. I'm kinda worried that it's just always going to be this issue with whoever I meet. I guess the two questions would be how hard is it going to be to meet someone who will accept me for who I am? and will potential partners run a mile when I tell them? :confused:

this is a bit difficult for me to put into words, :icon_redf and I'm sorry if i come across as ignorant, this is all still very new to me.

I guess I was hoping some people might be able to share their dating experiences so I could know what to expect more!

#1 ctrl alt delete, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haven't dated anyone, but don't worry. The chances are lower than if you weren't genderqueer, but there's still a chance.

Try looking at it in a different perspective, maybe. If someone falls for you, chances are, if they really, really love and/or care about you, they will be willing to learn and accept you for who you are.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can make things a bit tougher, but it won't make it impossible. If you date queer and/or trans* people they are more likely to be accepting and not have any issues with you being genderqueer.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This might be good advice, dating lgbt people... or simply open people...
    but I wouldn't worry too much...

Concerning partnerships, people are really in all kind of partnerships. :slight_smile:

5. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice guys!

6. TheUglyBarnacle

I used to feel the same way you do. People don't really understand non-binary identities and it's highly likely that some people might run off. But I've found out that if you find someone who genuinely cares about you, even if they don't really understand, they'll try to.

My girlfriend is a cisgender lesbian and even though she doesn't really know much about gender vs sex she has been trying to understand how I feel and make me feel comfortable. I thought she might think I'm a freak or want a 100% female-identified person but I couldn't be any more wrong. (*hug*)

Cishet people might have more trouble understanding where you come from but if you find someone who really does care about you, don't worry. Your gender is not going to be the dealbreaker (unless you want to transition, I suppose, and the person is not attracted to certain characteristics you might acquire). Try to see the positive parts of your identity-your androgyny can attract people from both the straight and the gay land. The bisexual and pansexual lands are even just as likely to be drawn to you. :thumbsup:

7. ThePrideInside4

Well, I'm currently going through the same thing. I think out of all the people in the world, there is only one who is meant for you. You'll meet them someday. You just have to hold on and keep looking. They won't run off, they'll accept you. Wish you the best of luck! :wink: