1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

depression or dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jaska, Aug 21, 2014.

1. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you tell the difference between dysphoria and depression and or how did you know the depression you had was actually dysphoria? :confused:

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dysphoria can certainly cause depression. There may be some depression from other things. Often, it's a mix of things that add to it all.

What you could try to do is separate, in your head, any depression caused by your dysphoria and see if there's any left. Ask yourself, "If I didn't have dysphoria, would I be happy? Or would there still be something bothering me?"

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it's hard to say. I feel like I've displayed symptoms of depression from a young age, as young as nine when I first raised an internal question about suicide. I was really little. While much of it had to do with things like my family and school, much of it had to do with dysphoria and being "trapped" even if I never gave it much thought then. Now that I'm older, I can easily say that much or most of my depression is rooted in my dysphoria.

I also second what Tai said.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

Dysphoria can cause depression, so it's hard to say. I try to look at whether or not my depression is related to gender in any way, or, as Tai said, I try to imagine myself without depression to see how I would feel. For example, a lot of my depression is caused by my social anxiety, so I try to imagine what I would feel like if I didn't have that, to see if I would still feel dysphoria