1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for gay/lesbian trans people.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're hanging around people you want to flirt with or want to attract, do you find yourself acting more like your assigned gender than the gender you've transitioned to because you know they're straight and they would be more attracted if you acted non-trans?

Sorry, that was a long, run-on sentence. For example, I'm a pan trans-guy, but I prefer men. So when I'm around boys who I like, my birth gender comes out a bit more. I start speaking higher pitches, sitting and standing posture becomes more girly, etc. Does this happen to you? This is mostly for gay trans people, but anyone can answer. Is it normal for a gay trans person to act this way?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've definitely noticed I've become a little more timid and passive.

Your situation you describe is nothing unheard of as well.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

That's not uncommon. My girlfriend acts really girly around me as if compensating (it feels like that), so i can see someone acting in the opposite if you think it will get you further.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

No, I still act like a guy. I'm uncomfortable with the thought of a straight guy being attracted to me (the thought of people finding my body attractive gives me dysphoria), so I sort of want to prevent that from happening

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Oh, definitely. Around attractive men, I tend to act much more feminine and speak in a higher pitch, for whatever reason.

6. itsAli

Nope, not at all. I am a guy. If they're straight and I'm attracted to them, then no biggie, I'm the wrong gender for them.
    Do cisgender girls act manly around gay guys they have crushes on? No.
    Why would I act a gender I'm not to get a guy who isn't attracted to my gender attracted to me?

7. stormborn

i do, to an extent. i think it's just what i've been told and learned to do, as crappy as that is.

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Find it hard to be as relaxed as I feel a pressure from habit etc to not let out any unconstrained signs of my real personality. Getting better about it in general.

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I would hate a straight guy to be attracted to me, too, but only because it would mean he's attracted to my femininity. I think I'm hoping he'll be gay or at least bi, but since I doubt he is, I naturally try any way I can to attract them, which unfortunately means getting girly. I hate doing it, it makes me dysphoric, but I can't help it.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2014 at 07:15 PM ----------

Maybe it's the fact that you have a boyfriend so you don't mind anyways? I've never been in a relationship, and I wouldn't call myself desperate, but I do tend to try and attract people. Also, all the guys I'm attracted to are straight, so... There's barely any LGBT people around my school. The only guy I like who's bi, I act like my true gender around him.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2014 at 07:17 PM ----------

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this sometimes... I hate it when I do it, but I almost feel like I can't control it.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't go for straight guys. In fact, I've never tried to seduce a guy in public- that's all happened online or in some venue where I know their orientation.

Am I giggly around my boyfriend? Yeah. I often worry if I come across as feminine to other people but I think that fear's unfounded.

But anyway, I'm a guy who likes guys and that's that.

11. laurenc

laurenc Guest

sometimes when I am interested in femme girls I will act like my birth sex however when I am interested in guys or masculine girls I start to be more femme and I start to feel like I need to be treated as their "princess" .

12. juliegt6

I tend to be more reserved and shy around people I'm interested in. I guess that's more girly.

13. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its natural to adapt a bit to someone we talk to.

Can you find an in-between you are comfortable with ? In such situations concentrating a bit more on you... and just a little less on the others. Just a little bit...

14. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I try, and I'm getting better at letting my gender show.

15. itsAli

[/COLOR]
    Maybe it's the fact that you have a boyfriend so you don't mind anyways? I've never been in a relationship, and I wouldn't call myself desperate, but I do tend to try and attract people. Also, all the guys I'm attracted to are straight, so... There's barely any LGBT people around my school. The only guy I like who's bi, I act like my true gender around him.

No, even when I see an attractive straight guy after we've had arguments, or when I was single I didn't act like someone I wasn't. I am a guy. I don't want a straight guy attracted to me, because I'll get my hopes up, then they'll turn me down because of my gender. For me it's not a big deal, they either like me as I am or don't, I don't change who I am for anyone.

16. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's just in situations where we are tempted to be especially pleasing for others...
    just being relaxed and being ourselves...
    it takes a bit of time to practise, but soon you come more and more in contact with yourself...
    its a learning process and a balance, just being natural and keeping feeling oneself...

17. itsAli

I am relaxed, I am myself. I don't change who 'myself' is when someone attractive comes along, if they don't like me for my actual personality, then I don't want them

18. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sry... this was just meant as kind of explanation for the OP... reinforcing your point...
    (*hug*)

I like your changed hairstyle :wink: :slight_smile:

19. itsAli

Oh, sorry, I completely misread that, my apologies
    Thank you! It came out a hell of a lot brighter than I expected, I did the towel dry, look up into the mirror and had a moment of shock, I love it now though!

20. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had that, too... doing something and it turned out different. But often its better than the thing we had in mind :wink: :slight_smile: .