1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Like Every Compliment is Fake

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KayJay, Aug 21, 2014.

1. KayJay

Basically since I have come out, I feel like every single positive compliment about me is just a lie to make me feel nice. I have trouble believing anything someone says about me if it is nice. I don't know why, I want to believe people but it is so hard I think because I doubt myself so much. I always feel like I don't look good or something else, like occasionally I think it is my voice or the way I act. I am trying to find ways to sort of improve my self esteem that way.

I made a reminder on my ipod everyday that pops up at 9am and it says "You are awesome, Kelsey!" That helps some days, especially when I kind of just forget about it. If I had my own place I would write positive notes on my mirrors.

Is there any tips you guys may have to make me feel better about myself?

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Positive affirmations. Meditation. Not allowing poor mental hygiene to creep into thoughts, which include things like self-deprecating thinking. I struggle with this still. Especially the worry that every compliment (of any kind) is merely to prop you up and not genuine. (*hug*)

3. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    TBH most of the time if not all the time people really do mean it. But chances are you will never think so. It doesn't meant that you are not beautiful you just don't see your self that way. We humans are hard wired that way, so there is nothing wrong with you, your just being human. But trust me they mean it even if you don't think they do. So try to keep that in mind that you are just a beautiful as they say you are!

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People don't go wasting their time complimenting you if they don't mean it.

Have some self worth there girl.

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good that people are trying to build to up. You must be a wonderful person that people would want to