1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not transitioning

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Raatox

Hi!

I've been struggling a lot this summer, but I think i'm starting to become a bit more settled about things now. I've realised that I will never be able to be a "real" girl, but I will never be able to be a "real" guy either - the transgender paradox :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And I think that for me it is easier to try to have a female gender expression, my dysphoria isn't so severe and I think I can handle it, although I identify as male.

My question is, is there anyone else thinking like this? Is the only solution to feel good about oneself to transition or is it possible to live happily in the "wrong" sex?

2. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I couldn't live if I don't transition. Being something I'm not kills me.

3. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that you should live how you wish. If its easier for you to stay female and you can live with the dysphoria then do so. You have to do what you feel is best for you in life, you can always change your mind later. But to give a little insight I am some one in the same boat. I think its possible but maybe not recommended. TBH I haven't decided yet on that matter, but know you are not alone in this line of thinking.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I think you should do what feels right for you. I personally cannot wait to transition, it's killing me to wait. But some trans people can live without transitioning, and that's fine too. I just want to point out though, that if you identify as male, then you already are a "real guy", it doesn't matter how much transitioning you have done.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that you should do what feels the best to you. I know personally that I could not do that, but everybody is different.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me say this simply.

There's no such thing as "trans enough", which is what it appears to me you're getting at.

Do what makes you comfortable.

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this ^^

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The point as made by Acm is one I have to affirm to myself a lot. How can I be one way inside however it feels and however certain I am most of the time when my exterior is drastically and completely different? Would it ever be "enough" in terms of a physical change? I suspect not.

9. suninthesky

Hey, I understand. I can't transition for a couple more years, and I knew I couldn't two years ago. At first I was a mental mess, but I've come to peace with it. I'm fine living these next couple years how I have. Do I know if that feeling will continue after I'm able to transition? It probably won't, but it might. I'm glad you've found peace.

10. Raatox

Thanks for your answers!
    Of course I have to do what feels right for me, but it feels good to see that I'm not alone :slight_smile:
    By "real guy" I guess I mean mostly how society views gender, but also that I was brought up and have lived like a "female" for 25 years now; I will never be a cis-born-guy.

I think the issue for me is that so much of the trans-comunity is about transisioning and that i really wish I could be male, So at first, when I started reading about it, it felt like the only solution. But for me, I don't want to do so big changes to my body (I have a very naturally-bound view of life ), so I really hope that it will work this way too!

11. Raatox

Found this old thread of mina and thought a note to self would be appropriate...

Ok, so note to self: dont try this again, It will get you suicidal, depressed and confused. You'll not get used to your birthname and being called woman.
    I thought i would try it for five years, 3 months was more than enough.
    I guess it works for some guys, but not for me.
    End of note.

12. DoriaN

I thought this topic was new and was all like "But.. You pass! If you can better yourself and you already meet the mark why stop? I'm 25 too and wish I was a cis-female! But it's better than nothing..."

No matter how much you run; the dysphoria WILL find you..

It's like a jaws movie or something, it slowly gets worse... slowly intensifies.

Hmm, you know, one thing that works for me? Being called a man/woman.

"Be a man!" *My thoughts*: But... I don't /want/ to be a man... It doesn't feel right!

Being called a man or woman feels very powerful to me, it can either feel reassuring, or downright degrading.

I imagine being called a woman has a similar feeling for you.

13. Adam1969

Yes, me! I considered myself transgendered for many, many years. Maybe I was. I don't really know with absolute certainty. I realized a few years back that for me it was more "nurture" than "nature." I would have preferred to have lived my life as a woman, I guess, but my dysphoria was not so extreme as to cause great distress. I respect transgendered people too much to think that my confusion was the same as their gift! You might feel differently later as well so keep your mind open. There are some great transgendered forums out there. Google "myevanesce". It is the most most intelligently run and supportive forums on this issue! :thumbsup:

14. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel the same. I've got mild dysphoria, pretty much only with my "cultural genitalia". I feel no need to get surgery or transition. I think that's pretty normal. Someone else pointed out the "trans enough" thing, and I agree. You also said that transitioning was the only thing you were exposed to, me too! Until I was in 3rd year university when I took a sociology class on the politics of the gendered body I had no idea you could be anything but cis or transitioned.

In the end, only thing we can be is ourselves. You do you. :slight_smile:

15. JustJJx

Personally I'd like to think I could just carry on being a "guy" forever and ignore it all, but realistically that wont happen :/

And yeah, never feel pressured into transitioning, its your body and your life so do things at your own pace xxxx *huggsss*

16. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you don't feel that your under any sort of pressure to transition in the trans* community. There are many different ways of expressing your gender and many different genders. It sounds to me that you've decided that you don't need to express your gender using the binary model of male or female. The reason I started identifying with the trans* community is because I saw them as being open to genders outside of the binary.

I certainly don't feel I need to transition and I'm happy identifying as neither a guy or a girl and not somewhere in between. Male and female and the attendant ideas about how your body should be are very limited and limiting. I've said it elsewhere but I don't see it as odd to have a non binary gender identity. In fact I see it as odd to have a purely binary gender identity.

17. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    For several reasons, I have concluded that I cannot transition or actually come out without causing massive and irreparable damage to my family. I would rather suffer and tell family members white lies sprinkled with the occasional morsels of truth than to witness the effects of my own, so-called "unacceptable" gender identity.

18. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm not sure about transitioning either (medically, I mean). I think it's inevitable since the thought of living the rest of my days as the wrong gender makes me want to commit suicide but I'm still not sure how I feel about having a trans body if you know what I mean. If I thought I had the potential to pass then without a doubt I would go the whole way with transition but for some reason, the thought of always standing out as a trans man makes me die inside slightly.

19. JustJJx

I'm exactly the same as you yeah, a lot of people have told me i could pass but in my head i'm terrified! (*hug*)

20. Acm

Acm Guest

I feel like at some point I have to transition medically, I'll never truly be happy or comfortable without it. I wish I could've just been born right though, there's some stuff that still isn't perfect so I feel like I'll always look a little different