1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having No Gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by imjustaperson, Aug 22, 2014.

1. For other people here who are agender, how would you explain it? Do you feel like you are both male and female, neither, or something in between? I just want to know how others view it. Personally, I cannot imagine feeling like one specific gender. It's like trying to conceptualize the fifth dimension. I understand feeling masculine when you are assertive or standing up for something, and feminine when you are caring for a homeless kitten (not endorsing gender roles here, it's just my understanding that certain characteristics can be described as masculine or feminine and not necessarily have to be seen in a male or female). I just don't understand how someone could go so far as to say that they are male or female (in terms of gender, not biological sex). I know that people describe it as just a feeling, an internal sense of knowledge.

The thing is, gender has nothing to do with who you are attracted to. I, for example, like guys. So people who proclaim themselves to be "male" or "female" must not be doing so only because that's the opposite of their attraction (and they've been taught it's more natural to be heterosexual, I guess in terms of gender as well).

I guess I'm just completely unable to comprehend the state having a particular gender. For me, it's both, neither, and something else entirely all at the same time. If gender refers to the spectrum of masculinity and femininity, I'd say it varies from situation to situation, although I still wouldn't say I'm male or female. If gender refers to announcing that you identify exclusively with one state of being, then I guess I don't have a gender.

I would like to hear other people's takes on what gender is, explained to someone who has trouble fathoming it, and also the situations for other agender people.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People have told me that they feel neither male nor female, they simply don't care, or they don't feel like they have a gender at all.

Thing is, "straight" usually means "heterosexual," which stems from "hetero," which means "different." The same applies to "homosexual" - "homo" means "the same."

If you're heterosexual, you're sexually attracted to a different gender. If you're homosexual, you're attracted to the same gender. And if you're bisexual - two genders. Pansexual - all genders. And asexual? None.

So, I think I'll have to disagree with you when you said this:

With labels like straight, gay, bi, etc., it does matter. For non-binary people, it's pretty tough, because saying they're gay when they're bigender, but born male, that would imply that they are a gay male, when they aren't. They're bigender. And it applies to others, too.

A lot of people use things like gynosexual or androsexual as replacement for heterosexual and homosexual. With these labels, your gender doesn't matter.

Obviously, you can identify as whatever you want to. I'm not telling you to stop identifying as straight, because no one should police others' identities. Just sharing my two cents - don't mind me.

3. Yeah, you didn't exactly answer my question about what it feels like to HAVE a gender, but I have thought about this before. Since I'm agender, if I like a guy who has a male gender, it's a still heterosexual relationship because we're both different genders. But if I like a guy that is agender like me, what does that make the relationship? I guess homosexual. Except I always though those terms applied to biological sex rather than internal gender identity. That's why I still identify as straight, because I don't like the female sex. I wish there was another term so that when describing attraction, people could differentiate between sex and gender. I would never be attracted to someone who is biologically a woman, but I'm open to people who might not be cisgender, as long as they don't have female anatomy.

If you are not agender, what does it feel like to have a specific gender? I'm really curious.

Oh, and when I said gender has nothing to do with who you are attracted to, I meant that your personal gender doesn't influence who you like. It's kind of an independent factor. I agree that the gender of other people, how they identify, does influence how you view them and if you are attracted or not.

#3 imjustaperson, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I'm sorry. I skipped over that on the first read-through. ):

I can't describe it. Or I can't describe it well, anyway, but I'll try. I guess.

You know how some people feel an affinity to some sort of element, like water, fire, air, or earth? Others don't feel an affinity at all, and yet others feel an affinity to all of them, only a few of them, or their affinity feels fluid.

The affinity to a certain element is like a connection to a gender. The element attracts you more, and when you're surrounded by that element, you feel so much more at home than you do with the others. For example, I feel an affinity towards air (the male gender), but not earth (the female gender). Therefore, when I am in an area surrounded by this element (being perceived as male, etc) I feel really great. When I am in an area surrounded by the earth element (being perceived as female, etc) I feel bad.

I hope that makes sense. Sort of.

And, yeah, I get what you mean. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

5. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as agender, but I also identify as other things because for me, I don't feel like I am a female or male but I certainly have a sense of my gender. For me, my gender is just so vast and unexplainable that it's easier to say I have none than to say I feel everything but in such a sense that I am not anything. I like to equate it to space. My gender is everywhere and very important, but it's mostly made up of empty space. You don't quite know what space is, but it's certainly there and it contains many other things that aren't the same, but are still included. Like, masculinity and femininity are planets and my gender is the void, I touch the planets but I am not one of them. I am everything else.

6. That's interesting. I guess, if I were to regard my gender the way you do, would I say I have a musical gender because I like to sing? Does it align with your extra-crricular interests?

7. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's see how I can explain you that... Gender works for me like this: when I am wearing a dress, I want people to know that I am a female wearing a dress. When I am playing video games, I want people to know that I am a female that enjoy these games. When I am refusing to use makeup before going to the mall, I want people to know that I am just a woman that doesn't like using those. When I am sitting with my legs apart and someone else tell me to stop doing that, I get upset because I want to sit in the way I feel more comfortable without my gender putting these limitations on me.

Gender have little to do with what I (don't) like to do, which clothes I'd like to wear or the way I act. My gender is how I want people to recognise me. When people misgender me, I correct them. When someone's having doubts about which gender I am, I tell them that I am a female. When I hear someone saying that females like something I don't or act in a certain way, I let them know that not every woman is going to fit these stereotypes and that I'm a proof of it.

It's hard to explain, really... I hope you got able to understand what I tried to say.

8. Hmm, it's really interesting to note that this identity is just always there, always underlying. I wonder what, in the brain, gender stems from, and why I am not aware of having a particular gender. I wonder if other mammals experience gender, aside from biological instincts like mothering for many females of a species and fighting for territory for males (e.g. cats). Could that be considered part of their gender, or would just be programmed behaviors in their sex, independent of their (animal sense of) identity?

I think the advancement of humans surpasses the need for gender, but maybe it's continued prevalence is a remnant of the evolutionary process. It could be that somewhere along the line, gender helped in reproduction. The presence of gender seems to be linked to sexual reproduction, as opposed to spawning or something. The thing is, I am agender but not aSEXUAL, so I don't see how having a gender could improve my already existing openness to that type of reproduction. Sadly, I honestly doubt any scientist could answer the question of what role gender, independent of sexual orientation or sex drive, played in our evolution. Well, thanks for your response, but I think I'm analyzing gender more than I meant to. :3

9. AlexTheGrey

If it was easy to describe, I'd have been able to describe it to myself at this point, I think. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

For me, it feels a bit like I'm an amalgam. If being male is an apple pie, and being female is a strawberry cake, then perhaps I'm an apple cake. Or a strawberry pie. Or perhaps a strawberry apple compote with whipped cream on top. I do feel like both are a part of me on some level, but I don't really feel like I change, or that I am wholly any one thing. I just am.

EDIT: Gah, now I'm gonna be thinking about making a compote all night.

10. I think I feel the same way, kind of. I understand spectrums of masculinity and femininity, and I think where I'm at on those two scales waxes and wanes. But for me, these characteristics are like happiness and sadness and not part of my overall identity.

11. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, perhaps I shouldn't answer, as I'm in kind of a questioning period right now, but I did identify myself as agender when I signed up on EC, so I'm going to try anyways.
    Here is how I see my gender:
    -I don't feel entirely comfortable identifying as a woman, but I know I wouldn't feel comfortable as a man either.
    - I really don't like attention called to my birth sex or to my gender presentation as such, even if someone is trying to complement me.
    -I would go by gender-neutral pronouns if the practice was more mainstream than it currently is.
    -I see my personality traits and interests as individual and human, not bifurcated into masculine and feminine.
    -I dress in whatever makes me happy on a given day. It might be a skirt, bright colors, and jewelry one day. It might be a bulky suit jacket, slacks, and a man's hat the next. I don't see myself as femme one day and butch the next. They're just clothes. My internal sense of myself is fairly constant.
    -The body nature provided is fine. My biological sex doesn't have any meaning beyond simply existing. Sometimes I wish I could experience being both biological sexes, but not enough that I would ever try to alter myself with surgery or hormones.

I don't know if that even makes sense to anyone other than me, but that's the best I can do for now.

12. I definitely feel you about not wanting other people to compliment you on an aspect of your birth sex, and as much as I skirt the label "woman, "I most definitely would not identify as man, either. My experience is largely the same as yours regarding gender, clothes, etc. except that I'm not really "fine" with my body since it causes everyone to automatically assume I'm a woman and everything society says that entails.

I see masculinity and femininity as categories that things can be placed under. Basically masculinity= assertiveness, harshness, etc. and femininity= caring, nurturing, lightness. For me at least, those words carry these connotations. Because someone could potentially be both nurturing and assertive at one given time, I think that while the words "masculine" and "feminine" have roots that trace back to "male" and "female," they don't actually have anything to do with biological sex or gender. They're just two different categories for character traits.

13. AlexTheGrey

First, you have to define gender. :lol:

The problem is that the word itself has changed a lot in just the last century. What you might consider "feeling a gender" is probably different from what I consider "feeling a gender", just because we shape the concept of gender from the definition differently.

EDIT: You bring up the idea of masculine/feminine being a category, which is actually not too far off from the origins of the word gender. It was originally the idea of words/language being masculine or feminine. It's been altered over time to cover the categorization of behaviors and norms as well. So I can see what you are trying to get at, but at the same time, what I am trying to describe lacks other words to use. And gender as a word seems to be morphing into something new based on people trying to figure out what is actually going on.

And that's possibly why our experiences are different. To me, there is a sense of self that doesn't change, and those traits are part of that. I express different parts of myself depending on the situation, but it doesn't mean my sense of self has changed, or that those traits are temporary.

It makes a lot of sense to me actually. A lot of what you say isn't too far off from my own experiences. A couple differences, but it mostly makes me go "Yes! I'm not alone!" :slight_smile:

#13 AlexTheGrey, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  14. Yeah, it's great to have people like you all to talk to because it does remind me I'm not alone or just plain crazy.

And I think I'm actually in the same boat as you. I don't feel that my inner sense of self changes, when I say masculinity and femininity I don't mean male and female. I just mean what connotations those words have. I'm always going to be agender no matter what situation I'm in.

I definitely know what you're getting at regarding there not being sufficient language to describe masculinity and femininity. These terms are insufficient as it seems that some definitions closely associate them with male and female. I personally hate the words masculine and feminine because for me they are not tied up into gender like the dictionary thinks they are.

#14 imjustaperson, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  15. AlexTheGrey

And that's what we do have in common. Feminine male, and masculine female don't work for either of us. Why can't we simply be nonconforming, but still be male/female? How we perceive ourselves is the difference really. You say you will always be agender. I say I'm always going to be a strawberry apple compote. (No, don't set that in your profile. Bad Alex)

Yet, I'd say those words are tied up in gender. I'd argue that gender is the all-consuming abyss that needs to change, as it tries to represent too many concepts all at once. And because that is the case, it overloads words like masculine and feminine by association.

And I do kinda agree that masculine/feminine != male/female. But what do you tie it to instead of the gender? For example, what makes something masculine? What makes something feminine? I'm curious how you define it so I can understand better.

16. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    First, thanks for saying that I make sense and that I'm not crazy. I tried discussing this with some people in my real life a few years back and got a "this does not compute" kind of response.

I like this, and it's kind of what I meant about not liking to bifurcate my traits. I understand (and sometimes use) masculine and feminine as culturally understood categories, but I see them as fairly arbitrary and as coming with a lot of baggage

17. For me the word "masculine" has synonyms such as powerful, energetic, dark, heavy, aggressive, assertive, fast, emotional...
    "Feminine" has synonyms such as light, slow and steady, calm, forgiving, easygoing, natural, composed...

I despise gender roles so I'm not at all saying people should try to fit those characteristics based on their gender. Actually, these are just adjectives that could easily be applied to objects, experiences, places, or even works of art. Not necessarily people.

What makes something masculine or feminine? It's hard to say, but I could give an example. For places, I'd say that a meadow is feminine and a bat cave is masculine. I guess other people thought of objects that way, too, and that's why we see masculine/feminine pronouns in languages like Spanish and French used for the inanimate.
    The problem with that is I think the degree to which something is masculine and feminine is subjective, and when it comes to people, you really can't attribute their whole identity with traits based on your personal perceptions.

---------- Post added 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:12 AM ----------

18. LadyRedRover

Hm, well, I classify myself as an androgyne. For me, gender isn't so much about having as not having a certain gender.

There are some days that I'll feel as though my body is male and other times when I'm highly aware that I'm a female, however, in general, it really just doesn't matter to me.

Like you, it's a bit hard for me to conceptualize gender :lol: I always feel sort of confused when someone says something like 'But you should act like a girl!' or 'That's a man's job!' because honestly, I don't feel like it applies to me one way or the other.

19. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Masculinity and femininity has different connotations depending on culture and personal interpretation.

In my culture, the night is seen as feminine - dark, not light - but yes, gentle, sweet, and soft, as well as passive. The day is seen as masculine - bright, aggressive, strong, enduring, and energetic.

And, where I live now, masculinity does not mean emotional at all - it means composed and calm, while femininity suggests emotional traits.

I have a feminine gender expression.

What it means to me:

- I express emotions more.
    - I prefer to be not muscular.
    - I don't prefer a low voice.
    - I tend to be shy and reserved.

What it doesn't mean to me:

- I'm more emotional.
    - I want to be petite.
    - I want a high voice.
    - I'm not aggressive.

Because, unless it's something or someone I really care about, I'm probably not going to feel a lot. And I really prefer if I were bigger than petite. And I don't want a high voice - I want a middle voice. And I'm pretty aggressive if I feel like I need to. Plus, body hair makes me feel nice.

Will people consider some of my traits masculine? Yes, they will. But will I? No, I won't.

Gender expression means different things to different people. Some effeminate people will shave their body hair. Others, like me, won't. And some masculine people will shave their body hair. Others won't.

And it's not limited to just body hair. Clothing, emotional expression, everything - even color preferences, if someone feels like it fits.

So if this burly, hairy, mean-looking bearded man comes in, a lot of people will label him masculine. But his personality expression is soft, gentle, and sweet - things he considers feminine. So his gender expression may be feminine.

On the other side, a petite woman with nicely styled hair and a flowy pink dress may come in, and a lot of people may label her feminine. But her personality expression is aggressive, stoic, and harsh - things she considers masculine. So her gender expression may be masculine.

It's the same with non-binary people, as well as androgynous gender expression. Femininity and masculinity are't restricted to physical appearance, and it's not restricted to personality expression either.

Just my two cents, anyway.

20. Hel

Hel

I think I identify as a woman because I enjoy being one and been perceive as one. A gender is a range of stereotypes (putting aside the biological side of it). If you prefer to conform to more masculine stereotypes, you may consider yourself a man (because you enjoy being perceive as such and doing manly stuff). That would be my way of explaining what gender means: you like being a woman/man, despite all the difficulties. But, like trying to explain colors to a blind person, it's hard to make sentences that make sense out of pure feelings.