1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad just put down 'men in dresses' - Venting

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kai LD, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :icon_sad: :tantrum: Yeah I just had to hear my dad talk about a customer of his that came in today fully decked out. Started disparaging her appearence, going on about how he didn't understand and how 'Nobody would want that, man or woman'.

:icon_sad::bang:

Needed to say something somewhere. :tears:

2. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awful :frowning2: Sorry to hear that.

3. Ryujin

Gender stereotypes and roles and stigmas and.... Rrrrrrrr :bang:
    When will society grow up and realise that anything not directly related to your biology (pregnancies, erectile dysfunction etc...) should be completely gender neutral. Why should a man wearing a dress be treated differently than a woman wearing a dress?

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is the thing that one of my hopes was that he would see me as a beautiful daughter and not as a handsome son a few years from now. :icon_sad: Super frowney face right now.

5. LovesMyArmyGirl

I'm really sorry about your dad. I feel your pain mine does the same all the time, and I agree with goldenarrow the world needs to grow up and get over their issues with gender identity and sexual orientation.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Often people have preconceived opinions they just picked up without giving it a thought. You might read up that there were biological differences found in the brains of transsexual people showing their brains matching that of their gender idendity. Of course there are different stages to this. But its not just a fantasy, as some people might believe.
    Next, transition is a process. It takes time. There are lots of beautiful transitioned people.

#6 jay777, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    Obviously I don't know your dad, but I don't think you should assume that it can't be. Some people are motivated to rectify their ignorance when what was previously perceived as "strange" or "perverse" is now embodied in someone close to them.

I know that doesn't make your dad's comment any less painful in this moment. I am sorry that you had to listen to that.

8. stormborn

i'm so sorry that happened :frowning2: though don't lose all hope. sometimes people drastically change their minds when something hits close to home. only time can tell, really.

in the mean time, i hope this picture of a fireman saving a cat helps cheer you up.
    [​IMG]

9. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure he will have a lot of surprises in store for him. It was very dismaying though. I also don't really doubt that he will still love me but I don't know if he will really understand or be very supportive. Don't know filmatleven. Thanks everybody.

10. LadyRedRover

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's reaction :frowning2: Hopefully, this will be an instance of 'Time heals all wounds and attitudes'.

11. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm sorry :frowning2:
    I've had family members say transphobic things before and it hurts a lot. I hope he changes his views someday.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I hear you on that. My family isn't outright transphobic... actually my brother who is the most "Republican" of our family is one of my biggest supporters. I think when I told him his whole perspective on lgbt changed.

There still is a lot of ignorance though I want to feel out before telling mine.

But stay strong sistah!

I'm still not called a girl by my friends or family yet. And frankly that's probably going to take a while and more insistence by me.

13. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, I'm on my phone, I'd like to comment more, but I just want to say for now...

My girlfriend thinks its hot I wear a thong and skirts. So, I don't buy the no one will accept them. If they love you, they love you.

I don't have time to be offended by a bigot.