1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding clothes when you're androgynous?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThePrideInside4, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ThePrideInside4

So, I'm a little confused. I have no idea what gender I want to be. Everyone knows me as a tomboy female, but on the inside I'm more male.

School is starting soon and I've been having a hard time finding clothes to buy. I don't want to wear anything girly, and I don't want to wear anything too manly because I don't want to confuse my family and classmates. I don't want to have to explain. So far I just got a pair of sneakers, 2 T-shirts, and 3 pairs of skinny jeans. I'm going to get my hair cut really short too. I don't want to confuse my mom when we're shopping. She doesn't even know about my sexuality yet. And I can only fit in female size pants. What do I do? What can I wear that portraits me as a female and a male without confusing people? I'm more of a punk hippy when it comes to fashion.

2. Raatox

Hi!

I guess I have the same problem, I identify as male, but present more female. Much of my wardrobe is loose-fitting jeans, t-shirts and sweaters. But I think it's bit boring so I try to improve it. My solutiion so far is to simply mix male and female. Like, for example, if a wear a guys t-shirt and binder (hate bras under t-shirt), I have skinny jeans or if I wear a female tanktop, I have mens pants and accessories. Otherwise I think there are quite a lot "masculine" female clothes, that might be something, but I'm not really fond of it. If you want to buy men's clothes when shopping with your mother I would suggest going to smaller shops or sport stores that are not so clearly divided in male and female, than it's easier to "occasionally" go into the guys part and find something you like. That's how I did it in the beginning.
    Good luck finding your expression! :slight_smile:

3. black-cat

Try shopping online, if you can. Also, if you are pretty small, you might be able to fit into the kids (boys/tween/teen/childrens/girls) range for trousers and other items. I would recommend you look at all the sections into which you can fit into, and just buy whatever YOU like, whether that is for girls, boys, adults, etc. The best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

4. ThePrideInside4

I have no idea where to get a binder, and I can't shop online. I'm curvy, but a bit slim. I have to try it on before I buy it.

5. LadyRedRover

I usually enjoy mixing and matching :slight_smile: For example, the other day I decided it was a 'fancy' day so I wore a long green dress(one of those that's shorter in the front than the back) with my navy suit jacket. It felt wonderful :slight_smile: I'm a bit of a punk hippy when it comes to fashion as well, and personally love things that are a bit 'rough' or have patches ^_^

As for a binder, without being able to order it online, it's a bit difficult. But there are many sites that show you how to make one yourself? From what I've seen they're pretty easy to make. I'll admit that I'm so glad I know how to sew with being androgynous! Makes things sooo much simpler with fit and things. I'll see if I can find some links and PM you :slight_smile:

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are a few threads on buying clothing...
    have you considered unisex clothing ? :slight_smile:

7. ThePrideInside4

:newcolor: Thanks everyone. The only problem is that there are no unisex sections in any stores near me.

8. wanderinggirl

I know people have mentioned this before, but what about thrift shops? They will most likely have punk/hippie clothes and good prices and the men's and women's sections aren't always so clearly divided.

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might look up the threads on FtM clothing... there were a few hints there...

:wink: