1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else treat clothes like a costume?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LadyRedRover, Aug 23, 2014.

1. LadyRedRover

I've noticed a strange habit with my clothing choices. I consider myself an androgyne and often wear or mix male and female clothing. I bind and pack occasionally and will even wear makeup to give myself a more 'masculine' or 'feminine' appearance on different days or according to the needs of my 'look'.

What's odd is that, looking through my closet, I realized that most of my clothes are treated as costumes.

For example, I feel like being a swashbuckling, adventurous type one morning, I have a pair of unisex combat boots, a mens' black silk tunic(with laces), and a pair of sparkly leggings.

If I feel like being a fancy dandy, I have a navy blue 'yacht owner' coat with big gold buttons, a blue captain's cap, a bright green dress that is higher in the front with a train, and some strappy heels.

...And the list goes on(I even have a superhero outfit). Now, this isn't really a problem, since I love my clothes, but I've been wondering if this is common among non-gender binary people or, well, anyone besides me lol. I'd love to hear some comments, suggestions, and, perhaps, your favorite 'costume'?

2. I used to feel like dressing really feminine or masculine was like drag. I was just putting on masculinity or femininity like I would a costume.

Now I just kind of figure that putting somewhat arbitrary restrictions on what clothes are for which people just seems silly. So I just don't subscribe to gendered ideas of my own clothing. The rules for who can wear what are ridiculous anyway. All my clothes are all gender neutral items to me because they're mine.
    It's just fun to wear cool stuff no matter what it is. As long as I like it, I can wear it.

I don't know if that's what you're talking about exactly, but that's how I feel about it.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dressing in a suit and tie is like me in a costume. I'm not me. If I could go to work the way I look like and feel like in my avatar I would be happy. Right now I'm me. The real me. My dress I'm in is my clothes. It's not a costume.

I put on the "uniform" at work.

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Previously all clothing was a disguise to help me fake being a normal dude easier. Now it's just how I usually dress, which is, for a guy anyways, fairly decent but nothing (for me) to get excited about. I have a firefly tee that gets me tons of props around the city from strangers, but otherwise I don't really dress up or anything...

5. LadyRedRover

Thanks for the insight the dreamwatch! :slight_smile: I don't really choose my clothes for whether or not they're masculine or feminine. I just found it odd that my outfits and appearance seem to have a very theatrical quality to them when I actually pay attention to what I'm wearing(which isn't horribly often lol).

Although I do use makeup, binders, packers, etc to get a more feminine or masculine look, it's mainly for the sake of what I feel my appearance should communicate that day, rather than that I feel like dressing as a 'man' or a 'woman'.

Thanks for the reply Kasey :slight_smile: I just want to say that you are absolutely beautiful ^_^ Hm...your response makes me wonder what I would feel like in clothes that aren't neutral or mixed.

Kai LD, nice to see you! Interesting point :slight_smile: I had clothes like that all through high school, where I didn't feel one way or the other.

#5 LadyRedRover, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i want to dress like a pirate and womens fashion seems to think it in style.... for a high price tho

7. LadyRedRover

It depends on where you shop :slight_smile: I go to thrift stores and flea markets or make my own ^_^ I currently have a pirate outfit, samurai outfit, and a commando outfit that I've pieced together from my own stuff and thrift shopping ^_^