1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a beard

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Brooke04, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Brooke04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm 98% sure that I want to transition ftm. The other 2% is the almost crippling fear that;

I'll lose my Dad and possibly my Brother, I know I shouldn't worry so much about what other people think but they're my family.

My girlfriend won't cope resulting in a breakup. She and I have had brief convos about me transitioning (she says she'd be ok with it) but I usually get into a defensive state and shut down conversation.

I'm quite a soft/emotional person and cry at silly things sometimes. Is this indication that I actually should be female? Even though when I hear myself being referred to as a girl my stomach turns.

There are other fears but nothing in comparison to the above mentioned.

Any tips/words of advise or experiences? Please share :slight_smile:

2. Raatox

I also want a beard!:bang:

I've also been thinking a lot about this the last couple of month, and I think you must consider both pros and cons and find out if the pros are bigger or smaller than the cons. Is it worth the risk of loosing your family etc for getting the body you want to have? Is it worth the struggle? Can you ever be happy with the body you have now? and so on...
    The hard thing, only you can answer this! No one else can tell you what should or should not do. Only you know what's most important to you and what makes you feel best about yourself.
    And, in case all options feels like shit, which option is less bad?

Good luck! (*hug*)

3. stormborn

it's a really tough decision when it comes to losing loved ones. ultimately you just have to decide what is the right course of action for you.

how soft or emotional you are has no indication to which gender you are. girls cry, boys cry, children cry, old people cry. everyone cries. some more than others. so don't worry :slight_smile:

4. KayJay

You shouldn't worry about having some generally feminine mannerisms, emotions, etc. That doesn't mean you should be female, it doesn't mean you should be male either. It means you are you! :slight_smile: That may not help but I wouldn't worry about doing things a certain way. I know I have some masculine qualities but at the same time I am female.

Your family is a big thing. I know I was worried about my family too, although I had a sibling who I knew would be supportive. It seems you know that your father and brother won't be accepting of you transitioning? Or are you just assuming? Either way it is definitely a scary thought. I know your dad is not my dad but when I came out my dad wasn't really on board. Eventually I got him to go to this LGBT meetings and talk to some people about things and now he is accepting. I think something to maybe consider is that even if your family may not be for the LGBT community, it could maybe make them see things differently if one of their children identifies with that group. I know that is hopefully thinking but sometimes that is what we need to get through the tough times.

I have zero relationship experience so I would feel really weird trying to give you advice there so I will leave that for another person.

I hope I sort of helped, I never really feel like I do when I post stuff but either way I think you need a hug! (*hug*)

5. Litveninko

you should know what you want, your family will love you with being who you are. I have a feeling that you're not sure about your gender, how old are you??
    Do you present as a male from time to time?
    If you're planning to come out, you just can act as a girly girl, and go to your parent "im a boy" this is just my opinion. Good luck with.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being soft/emotional and crying at silly things doesn't make you a girl.

7. Brooke04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks everyone,
    In the end I know I don't want to be in this body, I've know so the most of my 27 years. For me though (I'm sure for a lot of trans people also) I just find that I go around in circles with myself, "yes I'm going to do it", "no don't be so silly", "I will be a DAD", "It's too hard".
    I want this but I'm pretty scared to bite the bullet :/

8. I really want a beard! LOL I am questioning my gender identity and that whole crying thing really hit home for me because I think about that too! I am very emotional, does that mean that I AM a girl?

9. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think being a sensitive person is very gender oriented.

10. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Yeah, I'm very sensitive too and I'm a trans* boy! :slight_smile: Only you know your identity, but being sensitive doesn't mean your not a guy! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

11. Kimika

Couldn't agree more. That just means(to me) you are in touch with your own feelings.

12. Raatox

I might be wrong, but I think i've heard that transwomen who's on hrt says it makes them more emotional. So beeing emotional might only be a result from having a body producing lots of estrogen-it's a female trait, but has nothing to do with gender.

13. KayJay

I started crying 3 times as much or maybe even more since I started taking hormones.

14. Brooke04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I linked this thread to my girlfriend today because I couldn't bring myself to actually say it (I'm terrible at talking) and she couldn't have been more supportive, she even offered to contact a friend of hers from school who is FTM and get some details.

How scared were you all before starting? Where did you start? Feeling a little overwhelmed about it all.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Just because your soft and emotional doesn't mean you're a woman. Lots of guys I know are like that, are they women?

16. Princess Danica

You can have my beard, I don't want it. I used to like it a little, but now I hate it because it grows back too fast. So here *gives beard* lol

17. Brooke04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Haha I wish it was that easy :lol:
    This is actually all turning into a reality. I've been to a GP who has had me go for a mental health test and now I have my first psych appointment in two weeks. So scary but so exciting. :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg