1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sleeping in a binder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by stormborn, Aug 23, 2014.

1. stormborn

just how unsafe is it to sleep in a binder? obviously overnight wouldn't be okay, but if i were to take about an hour long nap, would that be safe?

i ask because i have a 2 hour flight early in the morning this week, which i will likely fall asleep on, and i don't know if i should bind during it.

2. Raatox

I think the reason why you should not sleep in it is that you should avoid to wear it for a too long time. So, if that's the case, taking a nap in it would be perfectly fine.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that you will be fine for that. You just don't want to wear the thing 24/7 because that is really unhealthy. You also probably don't want to make taking naps in them a normal thing.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You'll be okay for that long. If it helps, give yourself a break after your flight when you get a chance. I myself had one day where I accidentally fell asleep in mine for several hours- I regretted it.

5. birdking

Yep I take naps in my binder all the time. Just don't wear it for too long and you'll be fine :slight_smile:

6. stormborn

great, thanks for your answers, guys :slight_smile:

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Naps as long as they aren't lengthy should be okay, but I'm generally opposed to it because your breathing changes when you sleep and I'm the paranoid type that's concerned about fluid building up in my chest.

8. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I think you'll be fine if it's just once, but I'd find it extremely uncomfortable myself. Why don't you try and wear really lose clothes instead? :slight_smile:

9. itsAli

do not sleep in your binder. I have done it before and almost caught peumonia due to the fluid build up in my lungs. It can cause sleep aponea and cause you to stop breathing in your sleep, because you breath shallowly when you sleep anyway and a binder restricts it.
    Please, don't do it.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All of this is true, but I doubt that it can happen during a 2 hour flight.

11. stormborn

i would just bind wear a sports bra, but i have to go shopping and on a college campus tour and what not after the flight, without a place to change in between... so maybe i will just try to keep awake during the flight, and if i doze off, so be it, no harm done.

thanks for the input, guys :slight_smile:

12. Hexagon

Before my surgery, I used to sleep in a binder overnight when I couldn't avoid other people. It never killed me. You'll be alright with a couple of hours. It's not much different to being awake, really.