1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the people posting, asking if others would sleep with a transgender person.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsAli

I've seen two posts today being extremely offensive to trans people and their gender identity. If you're asking gay people if they'd sleep with transgender people, then are going to be offensive and misgender us. At LEAST put it in the Sexuality thread where trans people are less likely to come across it. O
    I am shaking, I am so angry, upset and offended and I feel like crying.
    If you are going to post a question like this, please don't invalidate us because of our genitals, misgender us, fetishize us, act like we're only objects.

Disclaimer, I am not speaking for the entire community when I say this, but quite a few people share my views on the matter so:

When you say you would end it because they tell you they're transgender when they're stealth, you're ruining their trust. These people come out to you and tell you because they trust you, and you're showing us that you would end a long term relationship because of something they were in the past. Would you break up with someone because they used to dress like a 'goth' or a scene kid when they were young? No. These people have always been the gender they are now, it's just when they were younger, they dressed and acted like a different gender because they were made to, or they didn't know.

fetishization is also extremely problematic, as soon as you say you would sleep with us for being transgender you stop seeing us as people and start seeing us as objects. If you love us despite us being transgender that's cool, if you love us BECAUSE we are transgender, you are automatically placing us all on a pedestal and treating us different because of this, this could be seen as transphobic and you are objectifying us.

Misgendering also seems to be a common matter, please refer to us as the pronouns we choose to use as that's who we are and it can trigger dysphoria in some people.

Also, posting questions like that in the gender identity and expressions section seems rude and invasive, you're coming into our tag, asking others if they'd sleep with us and leaving offensive replies. It's not fair.

2. Yosia

This. <3

------

I usually report the threads but they really piss me off too.

3. Bless your heart. <3

4. ThePrideInside4

Oh my gosh. Why would anyone say that? I'm not transgender, but I'm thinking about it. It really breaks my heart how rude people can be. I know people who have been treated like that. They're very good people. PEOPLE! People don't deserve to be treated that way! Nobody does! What if a dude walks up to a gay guy and says "I'll sleep with you just because you're gay". That would hurt someones' feelings, wouldn't it? God, I can't believe how fucked up society is, all thanks to bullies. :frowning2:

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe our best interests are not being looked out for.

6. itsAli

I really feel like my safe space is being invaded and I don't like it

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me chime in here and say that the staff are trying to look out for everybody's interests. There are 2 points that I am going to bring up here. The first is that we are a staff of volunteers, so sometimes it may take some time for us to see reports and act on them. This does not mean that they are any less serious, it just means that at the time there was not anybody that could handle the issue.

My second point is that this is a support and advice forum. It may not be these people's intent to offend us. We live in a world where many people are unaware of transgender issues, and that is something to keep in mind as well.

At this point, I am asking that all further concerns are spoken in ask the staff.

8. itsAli

The two posts have been taken down and deleted, I have been talking to an admin about this issue.
    I understand the admins are volunteers and can't do everything instantly, which is why I took matters into my own hands, reported the posts, made this one and called them out on their behavior in the posts. I was trying to help.

9. I completely agree with you Ali. I think you did everything right.

10. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate your pro-active attitude on this issue, Ali. I'd also like to thank the staff for their work and diligence in the community. :slight_smile:

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm glad you wrote this, I've seen too many people get away with saying transphobic things

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    for me, i would date a person for who is in front of me, we all have pasts that we try to and have moved beyond.(&&&)

13. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Frankly the question of whether a person was a murderer in the past or some comparable crime would be a deal-breaker. This is just an interesting datum about a person, letting you learn more about them and probably understand/love them more. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. itsAli

If someone tells you that, they're telling you out of trust. If you leave, you obviously didn't love them enough to stay in the first place

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think any 'would you date....?' is going to rile up feelings, especially on an LGBT forum.

16. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have not seen the offensive posts in question, but could it be possible that some folks here have caused hurt or offense out of ignorance, rather than with intent? We all have a lot to learn about each other. Having been told, however, folks ought to educate themselves about the issues involved, then they won't say things that could cause hurt or offense, because they will know better.

Anyway I did not see the 'would you sleep with' topic but like all such topics, it sounds a bit crass; but even so I suspect that whoever posted it, might have just been ignorant, or careless, rather than ill-intentioned. But my empathy goes out to all of you who are trans and who might have read such an awful topic, because trying to put myself in your shoes, I can see how it would be hurtful and offensive.

#16 Damien, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with that statement is that the posters claim "they are knowledgeable of transgender issues".

It's deleted now but the whole "I don't mean to offend, so let's talk rationally" or what not usually means "I'm going to offend you".

Not understanding a trans female IS female (or trans male is male) is one thing, but saying "I only like trans males" is fetishizing a group of people. That's the problem.

18. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  19. Hel

Hel

So... how is that offensive? I really want to know because I asked that question in the past and I don't see the problem. But clearly, there is one and I'm being offensive without knowing it so if you could educate me on that subject, I would be thankful.

Also, is saying you won't date a trans* because of his/hers genitalia offensive? The argument I heard was that since that person is attracted to boobs (she is a lesbian), she wouldn't have "anything to play with" during "fun times". I don't exactly share that opinion but I'm using that thread to ask the question anyways.

20. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This opinion could change but... It seems like people are essentially trying to find ways to weasel out of admitting, in terms of what they find desirable, a certain shallowness. If a person, regardless of their comportment, internal character and external appearance, cannot be a <identity> if they were not always that <identity> to you then that seems shallow to me. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.