1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help-coming out trans later in life

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Riley33, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Riley33

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone. Needing some help today. Ive been very anxious all day and I sure could use some back up. Im 32 yrs old, soon to be 33, just a few months ago I told my girlfriend I was trans. I got the best support I could ever hope for in her and im thankful everyday I have the chance to be everything she deserves. However, back to the reason im here, I have a career, hopefully I will still have it next week too. I am stressing over how to tell my grandparents who are 80 & 81 and more importantly my employer. I work for a county sheriff department as a 911 operator and police and fire dispatcher. I have no face to face contact with the public, but I live in TN and im concerned I may get fired when I tell people who I really feel I am. Im going to start my full transition, change my name, and start my "T" as soon as I get this done. So far the people I have told have been very supportive and I suppose it didnt really come as a shock. I could use some advice and a little courage. If any of you could help me id greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for being here.

2. Well if it's not coming off as a shock, maybe your employers/grandparents are either some what accepting of gender/sexuality people they suspect to be a variant, or they aren't concerned with it enough to not hire you. If I were you, I would logically explain to them the burdens you are experiencing in your life, and explain how this is the solution to the issues you're facing. Telling them is the only way to find out their reaction, but regardless of what they think, you have to do what will improve your life and mood. I doubt you can avoid the emotional stress it causes, but work with them, over time, they may become more open minded if the initial reaction is negative.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't have any advice, since I'm a young little twerp, but I'm also living in Tennessee. Seeing someone as close to me as this feels very reassuring, and I think you're really brave to be taking these steps.

So, I just wanted to pop in and say thank you, and good luck. I hope everything turns out alright.

4. Litveninko

hey! I really find it fine. And they won't care whats your identity, for your grandparents, they will accept you, they have short lives. And for your empolyer, I'm sure he would be okay, its not his bussiness. Do you dress like a male? If so, he might assume that youre butch (sorry) and he didnt fire you, so it means he is okay with LGBTQ folks. Hope I helped, and good luck with the transtion and support.

5. wanderinggirl

Does your employer have a nondiscrimination policy? Is there someone at work you can talk to? I bet there is a lot of information out there for coming out at work and how to draft a letter to your employer.

As for your grandparents, first and foremost you have to do right by your mental health. Secondly, if they know about your gf you have a good shot at everything going smoothly, but if not its a toss up. Talk to your parents/siblings/cousins if you want advice on how to proceed with them specifically. Good luck.