1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help from another poor trans* person.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wuggums47, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Does anybody know if medicaid covers a gender therapist? What about hormones?

I live in michigan if it makes a difference. I looked around on the internet but all the results where about SRS, and I'm not even sure I want that.

2. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I, uh, am not trans, but I just read what medicare covers on transgender related medical care. Apparently it depends on the provider rather than medicare - as medicare is now attempting gender and trans equality. I would call around and ask.

Also, it says that after you get approved, it will cover hormonal treatments and surgery.

Source: http://transequality.org/PDFs/MedicareAndTransPeople.pdf

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Would this apply to medicaid as well?

4. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I got mixed up.

I just read this: http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Documents/sjsj/2010spring/Spade_Advocates.pdf

Which states that is depends on each case and the provider, just like Medicare although it can be difficult. In terms of therapy and seeing a non-surgery care provider, that is much easier than getting it to cover surgery. Apparently they don't like to cover surgery on the basis that it's "cosmetic." Michigan is sort of in the middle so it's sort of a hit or miss is what I'm reading.

Sorry :/ I didn't realize that they could do that. I thought they had to either cover it or not, not walk some middle line.