1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping with being on a team

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just to warn ahead of time, this is partially venting and partially asking for advice...

I'm on a cross country team. Cross country and track are my life right now and they have been throughout middle school and high school (I'm going into junior year). But being on it shoves my birth sex in my face a lot more than if I wasn't on a team. Obviously girls are not as strong as guys; it's just their biological make-up. Testosterone builds a lot more muscle than estrogen, and females naturally have more fat. That's all fact, I'm not trying to be sexist. So since I have a female body, when my coach puts us in groups to run with (as we run faster if we train as a pack), I'm always put with the girls' group. To be fair, I am more around the girls' skill level than the guys', and they don't know I'm a guy. I'm not blaming anyone here, I just get frustrated and so, sooo socially dysphoric. (I also have body dysphoria, but it's caused by the social dysphoria.) Also, I'm the second and sometimes first runner on the girls' team.

Our team usually hangs out together, but while doing the workouts and in between workouts, we tend to hang out with our gender. This sucks as well... And most of the guys are friendly with me, but sometimes I feel like I'm annoying them by hanging around them when they're trying to talk about stuff boys would talk about.

So today we did a tempo run at some local trails and we set off in our skill groups. We were supposed to do a half-mile loop 5 times at a certain pace, but on the third round I just thought, "Screw it," and went when the boys did (we were staggering our turns to run the loop, as it is narrow and the guys got done before the girls). It felt so great to leave the girls back there (not trying to be rude, but hopefully you understand what I mean). And when we finished all 5 loops, we did the longer loop, maybe 2 miles, at a slow pace to cool down. My coach probably noticed me running with the guys, because he split us into groups again, me with the girls, of course. I decided to screw that as well, and when we got out of sight of him, I split off from the girls and caught up with the guys. I was a bit afraid of what the girls would say behind my back, like "She's such an overachiever," or "She can't follow instructions, can she?" but I was so upset and holding in so much dysphoria I couldn't help it.

Another problem is that although I am the second runner in the girls' team, I am still too much slower to work out with the guys for some workouts (depends, really). So, I can't even keep up with them half the time and I just get left behind, behind the guys and in front of the girls. Two large gaps.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a sob story. I had always felt off when training with the girls in previous years, but now that I know I'm transgendered, the intensity of the dysphoria just got amplified.

So, does anyone have any advice for coping with being on a team where people put you into groups based on gender and skill level? When you want so badly to hang out with one gender but they just keep moving away from you?

2. wanderinggirl

I ran xc in high school but I was really slow and always injured. I was always jealous of the boys. Their team seemed more fun and they had slimmer builds and running was more effortless for them. I hated being slow because there was no chance of me ever keeping up. Don't think this is helpful, I just kinda get what you're going through.

Is there a way to start on hormones? If there is, most high school divisions have some sort of rule about which team you can run for; but you may be stuck racing as a guy but with less speed at first, because as soon as you start t you have to run for the mens team.

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I might in college, but I doubt my parents would allow me to take T while I'm under their roof, and I'm not out to them yet. I wasn't even sure how old I have to be to start HRT. Plus, if I started running for the guys' team, everyone at my school would find out and I don't know if I'll be ready for that. I go to a tiny 2B school with about 200 kids, news would travel fast and there are many LGBT-phobes there. I only have two years; I may just have to try and push through them until I'm in college and can start HRT, though the hormones wouldn't be for team acceptance anymore.

I'm sorry you felt like this in high school too, but I feel less alone knowing someone felt like me.

4. TheBigSplash

Out Status:
    Family only
    There's actually laws where you can sue schools for being transphobic or allowing transphobia

5. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really? I didn't know that. I doubt my area allows that. Maybe the bigger schools.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :help:

7. WillowRose

Actually, it looks like there's a pretty strong state-wide policy that all Washington State school districts are supposed to be in compliance with by now (beginning of 2014-15 school year). Things may be better than you think.

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Willow & Splash: there's a big difference between acceptance and tolerance. Tai is afraid of the other students not accepting him. Ash Beckham has done a great Ignite talk on the difference.

Tai: I don't really have an answer on what you should do. Maybe talking with the coach could help. Unfortunately, that might mean coming out to someone. Maybe making more friends with people on the boys team would help. I'm not entirely certain, I wasn't really athletic in school.

[youtube]UZwcnxdz5lQ[/youtube]

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Love the video. And yes, I'm trying to hang out with them more. I'm friends with most of them, close with one of them. Everyone thinks we like each other. Well, I like him, but he doesn't like me really... They're starting to warm up to me, but sometimes I can't help but feel unwanted. I can't tell the coach because he is a hardcore Christian and it's not being stereotypical to say most Christians are LGBT-phobic anymore. Plus, what could he do? If he put me with the guy group, everyone would just be confused and I wouldn't be able to keep up. :frowning2: I just need to work on fixing myself, I think.

Thanks for your replies.

10. stormborn

i get it. i've played soccer for as long as i can remember, and now, suddenly i'm unable to. i can't play on a men's team because they're stronger, faster, and just play differently than girls. i could play on a women's team, but i would have to be a woman.

so now i'm stuck. no soccer for me until t, and even then, i've learned to play differently than men.

this post has been not helpful at all, and i'm very sorry, but at least know you aren't alone :frowning2:

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's okay, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry you feel like this, too. I played soccer for 6 years in elementary as well... But hated being around the girls on the team. Not only did I not feel right, they were mean. Do you plan on taking T before high school is over, or before you start college (if you're going)?

12. suninthesky

Wow, you sound exactly like me.. no joke. I'm on cross country and track, and I felt that way going through high school. During senior year I ended up running with the guys for most of my runs. For workouts my coach would put us with our ability level, so sometimes I'd be in a mix of varsity girls and jv guys.

I know exactly what you mean about not really feeling like a part of the guys team, but being really uncomfortable around the girls team too.

I ended up graduating high school and now I run in college. The feeling doesn't really go away, but I have learned to cope more. My teammates use the right pronouns, even when I'm in a form-fitting singlet. The guys' teams uses the right pronouns too. My coach doesn't, but he's supportive and seems to understand the struggle. He also let's me have some of the guys' team gear instead of the women's.

I'm not on T, and I'm not going to until after graduation from college. I think for me that was the biggest struggle, knowing I could have gone on T sooner. But once I made the commitment, it mentally became easier. College running is quite the experience, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I compete in the female division, but that doesn't change my identity. At nationals, and any meet really, it's clear that I'm not like the other runners on the field.

Anyway. Have you thought about having a conversation with your coach? How well do you know him? How accepting might he be? Could you even ask to be put with the guys to be challenged more? I know of a lot of runner's that ran with the guys team at their high schools.

13. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to know it got better for you and easier to cope with.

I can just say right now that my relationship with my coach is probably the most complex relationship I've experienced so far in my life. I have so many mixed emotions about him that I could write an essay on it, but don't worry, I won't write one for you. I'll just sum it up: we've had falling outs before, not the yelling and out-of-control kind, but the strategical back-stabbing kind. He'll be nice to me and I'll think he is the most amazing, awesome coach and friend in the world, then he'll do something so sneaky that it'll let the wind out of my sails. I think this mostly has to do with me being competition for his daughter, who he makes do XC and track, but she doesn't like it too much. Because of this, she doesn't try as hard, but she has so much talent (they're a running family) that it's made up for and she can usually be first on the girls team. The coach seems to harbor a grudge towards me...

Anyways, enough of that. He's super religious, and I don't know his political stances; they don't express that kind of thing, as is right. But, judging from the fact that they're religious, it's almost safe to assume that they're probably a little LGBT-phobic, as a lot of Christians are... Yet, if I avoid coming out to him and ask to be put with the boys, he may object. Though, that's my safest route, and if I get super desperate, I'll bring it up to him. It wouldn't make a ton of sense though, because I can't keep up with them half the time.

14. suninthesky

You'll get there. I couldn't keep up with them Junior year, but senior year I could pretty much anytime I wanted to. My coach is pretty religious too. I came out to him, but not until I was a sophomore in college. He ignored what I said and acted like I didn't say anything. Both times >_>

Just you keep doing you. Make the most of what you have now. High school sports are a ton of fun, and it's hard to find the opportunity to be as competitive in any other division. If you have an LGBT-safe person at your school (maybe a teacher that is friendly, or principal, then you might consider talking to them. Then you might be able to talk to the athletic director or principal (if said safe person thinks said person in charge is trusty) and tell them that you are coming out to your coach. That way they could be prepared for any reaction and know that you aren't instigating anything. If you're a student in a public school, you have rights under title IX. It applies to transpeople thanks to Obama and could mean major trouble for the school if they don't handle stuff right. More than likely they'll be very careful about stuff. Who knows? You could make a real difference for people at your school younger than you. It's something I really regret not doing at my school.

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, suninthesky. It will take a great deal of courage to go through with that, courage that I may not have right now, but hopefully I will find it soon. I can't imagine myself becoming a role model for the school; it seems like a foreign idea to me. I was always the quiet kid who got good grades and kept out of everyone's way and drama. But once I feel sure of myself, I will make myself take action with the school. And I'm sorry your coach ignored you. :frowning2: At least your teammates didn't.

16. stormborn

yeah, i understand the thing with the girls on the team. i always felt like an outcast.

i just started university, and i haven't started t. i'm aiming to start next summer, though lord knows if that will actually happen.

17. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, good luck to you!

18. suninthesky

Let us know how it goes this year, Tai!

19. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I will. :slight_smile:

20. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, the GREAT news about liking Cross Country and Track is that at least you are on the same *team* as both genders, and not in an entirely gendered team. Additionally that'll help out when/if you come out, since you won't have to change *teams* just groups. Good luck!