1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BINDING TIP for those who can't get hold of a 'real' binder

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by yven, Aug 30, 2014.

1. yven

Hey everyone! I just thought I'd share something with you which made me pretty happy these past days :slight_smile:

So, first of all: I am a really large chested guy, my cup size is 75E (that's a 34DD-DDD in US) and I struggle(d) with really really really bad chest dysphoria. I am outed to my parents but they wouldn't get me a binder, mainly because my mum is so very scared about the health issues that come along with binding. However, my therapist helped me convince them to at least "meet me halfways": in the form of a compression sports bra! Sooo I originally suggested the Underworks compression and binding bra, but my mum didn't want to order from overseas.

Instead, she ordered me two different models for me to try on: the Nike high compression sports bra & the Nike compression sports bra. They both don't have cups to form breast (which is good) and on the back they are only made of mesh, so you won't sweat a lot.
    In the reviews for both bras people had commented that they are great for more "extreme" sports in which you gotta move a lot but your chest shouldn't. Like tennis. I bet those ladies would hurt themselves without sports bras like this.

So on the sites where we ordered (amazon.de & zalando.de) there were no real size charts provided, so my mum just went for it and ordered each model in both M&L. I was sceptical, I wasn't sure whether I'd fit in an L, yet alone an M.

2 days later both packages had arrived and after experementing a bit I found out what binds me best:

I just wear the Nike Compression Sport Bra size M over the Nike High Compression Sport Bra size M. I don't even need to wear the size L! (I kept both in size L too though, because under a sweatshirt I could easily just wear those). Under both sport bras I still wear a cotton tank top against the sweat.

The whole thing is extremely breathable and hurts almost not at all! Only a bit at the shoulders where the straps are, but I got used to that after an hour. Also, the muscles in my lower neck have been tense in the beginning, but that feeling is already fading. I guess it's due to the different kind of support that my body isn't used to.

I can pass in t-shirts, button-ups, sweatshirts! I would never ever have expected to get this flat in just sport bras, considering my chest is a fricken 34DD.

That's why I recommend to all young trans* folks who would like to try binding, but aren't out to parents/your parents think a real binder is too dangerous: just tell them you need a new sport bra! :slight_smile:

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry if the pictures are quite big) Just wanted to show you the results in different shirt styles! :slight_smile:

I hope this can help someone as much as it helped me!

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Totally agree, sports bras are life savers. Got mine recently and I look pretty flat, and almost completely flat if I wear my old homemade (and badly so, never really worked that well) "binder", with the sports bra on backwards.

3. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sports bras are works of art, I swear. I don't know what kind I have, but it's got a little guy running on it - either way, I'm large-chested (not as much as you though, that's got to be tough) it makes me completely flat - so I never bothered to buy a binder it works so well.

Thanks for taking the time to make a recommendation :slight_smile: It's very helpful to those who can't/won't get binders.

BTW: You look awesome!

4. yven

@Ningyo: So true! Honestly, seeing myself now in the mirror I can't remember how I could've put up with my chest dysphoria as long as I had to...

@Kaylen: I think they even might be a bit safer after all, since they were designed for sports and not for simply squishing down your chest, as are binders. Very welcome, and wow, thank you so much! :slight_smile:

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's amazing! I'm so happy for you! Do you mind me asking how expensive they were?

6. black-cat

TLDR; I just opened this out of curiosity and holy hell that is incredible, seriously dude you must feel great! Though I'm not convinced it isn't magic, I must say LOL.

Anyways good for you and thankyou for sharing, I'm sure many people will appreciate it. :slight_smile:

7. yven

@Jaska: I'm not quite sure, I think they were both around 25-30€ where we bought them. You can always google for gift cards for certain resellers, that's how we got additional 5% off! And thank you :slight_smile:

@black-cat: I do, thank you! :grin: (& neither am I, haha)

8. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woaahh thanks for this! I've heard people say sports bras can work as binders but I've always been skeptical because I've never seen photos to back it up. It'll be a lot easier to explain buying sports bras to my parents than binders at this point in my life, so wow thanks again.

9. Xyaz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is very helpful, thank you for writing this! I will keep this in mind.

10. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, you have such a big smile on your face! :icon_bigg You must feel great.

Maybe I'll try doing that, I need some new sports bras, anyway.